You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Holy cow why are my eps exports not rendering correctly?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using affinity designer for about 6 mos.,  I’ve never had this problem before so I’m thinking I messed up a preset or something. But I cannot export a  logo I’ve just created to an EPS, CMYK,  print file. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong but I really need help. 

I have read the indexes looked up articles check the export menu, I realize it’s got to be me but if someone could help me shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

F214EE6A-DF19-467F-8612-47C9E09E5CB5.png

04DD67D7-BEC6-4F5F-BBFE-2B6C230ACC3D.png

8EEB6D4E-7C40-418D-A6C1-CB88FF64F20D.png

Edited by Libbey
screenshot was easier to access

• Staff

Hi Libbey and Welcome to the Forums,

Could you attach the .afdesign file and i'll look into this for you.  I suspect something that isn't support by the EPS format is being rasterized and causing this.  I'll know more once i have the file :) 

Hi!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY! I would so appreciate your help. I would so appreciate your help. What I know so far is that I have more than one color space represented, I can’t for the life of me figure out how that happened. I went back and even reset to factory default. And I’ve done this kind of image before, I know that it’s got to be something I’ve done... But I cannot export to a simple CMYK for print EPS it is maddening. And it’s making me look like a total amateur. I’m trying to upload a winning design, on 99designs for a client, I’ve even gone so far as to export it to an SVG file, and use a cloud converter To export to EPS. It works it looks fine but when I upload it to 99 designs it says there’s more than one color space and rasterize content. That’s something else I can’t figure out because this is a vector file.

So I’m uploading one of my exported EPS is and the original source file. You’re a love, thank you again.

emeraldimagery_cmyk.eps

ei_blacktype.afdesign

geez. Please forgive my rambling I have a literally been up all night trying to tie up this project and finish five other ones and it’s slowing me down and giving me an aneurysm. Not to be dramatic or anything. ;) Lib

1 hour ago, Libbey said:

geez. Please forgive my rambling I have a literally been up all night trying to tie up this project and finish five other ones and it’s slowing me down and giving me an aneurysm. Not to be dramatic or anything. ;) Lib

No need to die over this...

There are bitmaps in the file already. They will remain as bitmaps.

I am attaching an EPS file. Please open the PDF version in your PDF viewer and/or in AD. The EPS version will not open in AD. But it is identical to the EPS version.

I remade the shutter to be a single piece. Please review this carefully.

Take care, Mike

ei-logo.zip

Hello Mike & BIG thanks. I’ll follow your instructions carefully although I have to admit I’m not sure I totally understand at this juncture, but my feeling is I will discover where I went wrong. Aside from being able to upload  the file obviously, I want to know what I did to cause the issue so that I don’t inadvertently do it again. This was a simple little job, that went very very south for me.

As you may have guessed, There are holes in my education regarding AD, And certainly moreso along the more technical side of digital manipulation as it pertains to illustration. What I know, I know well, but I don’t know, what I don’t know” ;) 

I appreciate your patience, and thank you again. It’s a great program and I love using it, I’m so impressed with your super responsive help. Any advice you can give me would be most welcome. Libbey

————

Wow perfect job thank you so much!  I have two versions of this logo to give to the client one in positive and one negative, And I hate to be a bother - but the problem is I have to have an original art file because I have to be able to revise color.

When you said there was a bitmap in the file, what does that mean?

If I have to re-create the file as well I will but I’m uncertain as to whether not I’ll just end up with the same problem.

thank you - Lib

You're welcome, Libbey. 

You should be able to open the pdf, save as a revised AD version and continue on.

If you look at the layer panel, you will see clipped objects. The pieces making up the center objects. 

If you revise the pdf version and export as eps, I would be happy to check it in Illustrator. 

Mike

Hi Mike - Thank you I will try that. I did notice clipping patterns (I think we’re talking about the same things) in the file. On my end they look like they had been manipulated by the cropping tool. Except I didn’t crop them. 

But let me ask you this, and of course probably only “doing” will be the proof, but were I to start anew, a brand new file, is It reasonable to assume that I won’t have the same problem so long as I’m careful not to accidentally use the cropping tool? it’s The only thing I can think of...  somehow I inadvertently grabbed that tool, did something to the layer that I couldn’t undo. Or I might be totally off and if that’s the case say so. lol

Thank you - I would love to have you check whatever I come up with  Illustrator, I work solely on an iPad Pro, which is why I love affinity designer. It’s really freed me up to design without having to have a laptop. (Which both of my daughters in college have, but they’re poor mother does not. LOL ;) )

Lib

Hey Mike!

DisRegard my post above - you are brilliant!

got it! Thank you so much! I am making some slight revisions to one file, this client needs the logo against a black background and then if you don’t mind checking it I would be forever grateful. Wow you’re so smart! thank you! <3

16 minutes ago, Libbey said:

Hey Mike!

DisRegard my post above - you are brilliant!

got it! Thank you so much! I am making some slight revisions to one file, this client needs the logo against a black background and then if you don’t mind checking it I would be forever grateful. Wow you’re so smart! thank you! <3

Glad you're getting the help you need! I was looking at your logo, very nice! Something I noticed tho, if you're interested: The emerald and imagery would look better if they were both the same length..the imagery sticking out a bit at the end kept drawing my eye. Also, the subtext would be better in a sans serif font to compliment the emerald imagery line. Looks great though, nice job!

2 minutes ago, Pariah73 said:

Glad you're getting the help you need! I was looking at your logo, very nice! Something I noticed tho, if you're interested: The emerald and imagery would look better if they were both the same length..the imagery sticking out a bit at the end kept drawing my eye. Also, the subtext would be better in a sans serif font to compliment the emerald imagery line. Looks great though, nice job!

Hello and thank you so much. I have to say I agree with you, on all points. However the client had a hand in tweaking this, It was actually his suggestion to use the gaelic font, Even the tracking & kerning of the type were per specific request. So no changes can be made but I really appreciate your attention to detail - thank you. Lib

44 minutes ago, MikeW said:

You're welcome, Libbey. 

You should be able to open the pdf, save as a revised AD version and continue on.

If you look at the layer panel, you will see clipped objects. The pieces making up the center objects. 

If you revise the pdf version and export as eps, I would be happy to check it in Illustrator. 

Mike

Hi Mike, everything looked beautiful in AD file. jpgs turned out just fine.

According to 99designs They are not industry-standard EPS CMYK... This might just be a glitch but could you check? Only if you have time you’ve been such a big help. i’ve  just attached one file p, that’ll be representative of what I’m doing. (To be honest I wouldn’t supply these files in EPS format anyway - I’ve had zero problems when supplying vector-based PDF for print... But freelancer at the mercy of the machine, that’s me) ;)

ei-logo_dark.eps

5 minutes ago, Libbey said:

Hello and thank you so much. I have to say I agree with you, on all points. However the client had a hand in tweaking this, It was actually his suggestion to use the gaelic font, Even the tracking & kerning of the type were per specific request. So no changes can be made but I really appreciate your attention to detail - thank you. Lib

ah, nothing worse than when the client wants to have a hand in it. I feel your pain lol

30 minutes ago, Pariah73 said:

ah, nothing worse than when the client wants to have a hand in it. I feel your pain lol

Lol! Aw! 

To be honest I  love working with clients. Compromise is part of lots of project work, and if we step outside of ourselves, We realize that some things are really just a matter of taste. Choose your battles ;)

I admire your dedication to the aesthetic however. Rock on!

1 hour ago, Libbey said:

According to 99designs They are not industry-standard EPS CMYK...

That file uses everywhere plain legal EPS/PS color style definitions of the CMYK color space ...

/DeviceCMYK scs
0 0 0 0 sc

• scs = setcolorspace
  • sc   = setcolor

... as described and defined in the Adobe EPS lang spec.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Libbey,

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly.

Affinity Designer is exported a perfectly good EPS. Other applications open it, all as vector, all in CMYK.

Adobe Illustrator cannot cope with the gradient and rasterizes it.

If I change AD to use PostScript Level 2, AD informs the user it will rasterize some areas (i.e., the gradient).

I have no issues with your design exporting it from Xara Photo & Graphic Designer or CorelDraw and opening it in Illy.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Libbey,

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly.

Affinity Designer is exported a perfectly good EPS. Other applications open it, all as vector, all in CMYK.

If I change AD to use PostScript Level 2, AD informs the user it will rasterize some areas (i.e., the gradient).

I have no issues with your design exporting it from Xara Photo & Graphic Designer or CorelDraw and opening it in Illy.

Ahaaaa. Gotcha. Thank you so much I really appreciate you looking into this for me AND actually you’ve given me the right language to respond back to the platform should they have an issue.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can ever do to return the favor. You’ve been such a treasure - I can’t thank you enough. Lib

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

That file uses everywhere plain legal EPS/PS color style definitions of the CMYK color space ...

• scs = setcolorspace
  • sc   = setcolor

... as described and defined in the Adobe EPS lang spec.

Hello and ... say what now?

As said, it's a right defined EPS file which also defines the used color space in the right way. - All EPS capable apps here, have no problem showing up that file ...

screenshot.jpg.0ef51ca223e1e0c717f7b36662f7b276.jpg

... thus I wonder why that shouldn't be an industry-standard EPS CMYK file (per what definition?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

As said, it's a right defined EPS file which also defines the used color space in the right way. - All EPS capable apps here, have no problem showing up that file ...

screenshot.jpg.0ef51ca223e1e0c717f7b36662f7b276.jpg

... thus I wonder why that shouldn't be an industry-standard EPS CMYK file (per what definition?).

ohhhh - gotcha! Thank you so much! I apologize, I work on the creative side of my brain and language escapes me occasionally! 

.... you know I don’t know either. I have found it extraordinarily frustrating, but because I’m not a technical person by nature, it’s difficult for me to be able to defend the work if I think for some reason there is some technical side of it that I have inadvertently been unaware of. I think I need to become more confident in My ability to defend the process and outcomes.

That said, you looking at this has also given me excellent ammunition  to defend the uploads,  should 99D come back to me and say that the files are not correct.  and you know I initially put in a request on their platform for help and information, and they still haven’t gotten back to me. Where as here, help was immediate, I’m so grateful for all of you.  :)

Really appreciate your input. Thanks so much! This is a really cool forum very helpful. Libbey

From what you wrote I had the impression, that this site there (99designs) is maybe more or less very Adobe file format oriented and thus, if an Adobe tool (Ai or whatever) can't deal with it correctly (show up that EPS file), then they may say probably it's not industry-standard compliant or something like that.

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

From what you wrote I had the impression, that this site there (99designs) is maybe more or less very Adobe file format oriented and thus, if an Adobe tool (Ai or whatever) can't deal with it correctly (show up that EPS file), then they may say probably it's not industry-standard compliant or something like that.

Except...

If I can export out of the other applications I listed and Adobe Illustrator keeps/retains things like this gradient as vector, then something is wrong with Affinity Designer's capabilities. 

This issue, keeping vector as vector wherever possible (and this gradient is possible), has always been an issue in AD. Tis a simple fact. Even with the main vector applications I use, if I were needing to ensure Adobe Illustrator can open a file from a none Illustrator design application I would always run it through Illustrator. Which is what I do.

Mike

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

If I can export out of the other applications I listed and Adobe Illustrator keeps/retains things like this gradient as vector, then something is wrong with Affinity Designer's capabilities. 

This issue, keeping vector as vector wherever possible (and this gradient is possible), has always been an issue in AD.

That confuses me a bit, Mike. You seem to be saying that AD is exporting it incorrectly. But above you seemed to indicate that AD exported it fine, and Illustrator has a problem with the vector gradient:

17 hours ago, MikeW said:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is a valid file as exported from AD.

Illustrator converts the AD gradient to a bitmap. 

Other applications can export the same design and Illustrator retains the gradient as vector. 

I.e., while the AD gradient is properly constructed for an EPS file, it is not on par with other software where Illustrator is concerned. 

Should Adobe fix their software? Sure. But if other software can manage either/both eps/ai exporting that Adobe Illustrator does not have these issues, what priority should they assign the problem? 

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

If the export from other apps can keep the gradient as vector, but from AD not, then sure there is a different gradient generation and export handling involved. Otherwise the results should yield a similar vector based treatment here.