You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place contextual Help button in each tool/feature pane.

Since you are writing a new retail version of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher anyway, please consider this:

Place a Help button on the lower left corner of each tool/feature pane that links to/cross-referenced with contextual help on the features included in that tool pane, like:

-Definition of each feature in the pane with icon representation when available.

-Strategies on how to use each feature in that tool pane. 

-When to use each feature in that tool pane.

-How to use each feature in that tool pane.

-Effect of using each feature in that tool pane/effect that changing the value to certain parameters has on the photo. (In other words, if you increase the border width, it will have so and so effect on what you are selection, or, if you increase the brush size, it will have so and so effect on your intended selection, or, if you increase the "ramp" value, it will have so and so effect on your intended selection, and so on, and so forth.

-Recommendations on most commonly used values for each feature in that tool pane; a good default value to begin with.

(Just me spinning my head off with whatever comes to my mind concerning this topic).    9_9

Feature Request-Help 2019-03-08 at 00.08.51.png

PAULRFONTENOT ;-)

Late 2013 iMac/32gb ram/2tb ssd     2018 MacBook Pro/32gb ram/1 tb ssd

Affinity Designer/Designer Beta

Affinity Photo/Photo Beta

Affinity Publisher Beta

+1,

This would be nice.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Good idea - would really help deserting from Adobe applications and quickly feel comfortable in the enemy's lair.

Plus, the help section could need some brush-up. Would be helpful to have more pictures for showing the elements the texts refer to.
That way, a noob (like me) could clearly see "Ah, that's how it looks!".

Surplus, the help section could also need some more detailled explanations - like where to find items referred to.
Example: "Use Blend Ranges."
An experienced Affinity user will know it's that little cogwheel.
But a novice will start seeking and swearing because he just doesn't know where and what to look for.
Better: "Use Blend Ranges (the little cogwheel found in the Layers panel [picture])."

As a certified tech writer, I know writing documentation is a pain in the you-know-where.
But it would really help new Affinity affinitists doing the change.