You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols panel vanished

If you are in separate view mode this will happen. Window > Separated View uncheck it.

59 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

Now it also vanished from the view>studio menu. existing symbols are still labelled symbols, but i cannot place new instances or create new symbols anymore.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

Sadly that's not the issue.

Sadly it is me giving you false hope, I completely misread your post. There is not supposed to be a Symbols panel in Publisher, somehow it was included by mistake and will go away permanently as you described and I apologize for misleading you.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That‘s a pity. Especially as I used it extensively.
I shouldn‘t have closed the panel ... 

I once had thge impression that it seemed possible to apply masterpages on other masterpages. That could do the trick.
In my case all the master pages have a logo. Next to the actual icon, it also includes some text and its position varies. Symbols were perfect for that.
Has anyone an idea for an elegant solution?

37 minutes ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

That‘s a pity. Especially as I used it extensively.
I shouldn‘t have closed the panel ... 

I once had thge impression that it seemed possible to apply masterpages on other masterpages. That could do the trick.
In my case all the master pages have a logo. Next to the actual icon, it also includes some text and its position varies. Symbols were perfect for that.
Has anyone an idea for an elegant solution?

You can apply a Master page to another Master. You can also apply multiple Masters to a document page.

Either may provide what you need.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Do you think you could create an asset?   Would that help?     

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 3/8/2019 at 12:50 AM, Old Bruce said:

I apologize for misleading you.

Thanks for all the help and you surely shouldn‘t apologioze for helping me. :)

Actually I also feel that symbols are a very Designer‘ish functionality and belong there.

9 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Do you think you could create an asset?   Would that help?     

So far I understood assets as a comfortable way of the „copy-paste“-maneuver. (More like copy-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste...)
Do assets also update their instances like symbols do?

I‘ll take a closer look into the suggested solutions.
Thank you all for your help.

1 hour ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

No.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, GrosseFreiheit said:

Thanks for all the help and you surely shouldn‘t apologioze for helping me. :)

Actually I also feel that symbols are a very Designer‘ish functionality and belong there.

So far I understood assets as a comfortable way of the „copy-paste“-maneuver. (More like copy-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste...)

I‘ll take a closer look into the suggested solutions.
Thank you all for your help.

Walt is right.   They don't update themselves, but at least you could start with whatever you had created once and saved as an asset, and then drag a copy over to your document and add or subtract from there.   Might save you a little time.  That was why I said "perhaps."    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

If you open the document in Designer (beta), create a symbol and leave one on the page, then save the document and re-open it in Publisher, you can command-drag it to create another instance on the same page, or copy/paste to create another instance elsewhere.

Thus, if you have both Designer and Publisher, you can use Designer to create a symbol which then continues to work in Publisher just fine - but it does look like you would need to switch back to Designer to edit them with sync turned off...

• 2 months later...

Have been creating labels that need to be change by data and colour, using symbols was very easy as just changed any time the data and colour in one instance and done, now is going to be a lot harder work, why did you remove this feature?, it was a great time saver :...(

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

8 hours ago, Joaquim said:

Have been creating labels that need to be change by data and colour, using symbols was very easy as just changed any time the data and colour in one instance and done, now is going to be a lot harder work, why did you remove this feature?, it was a great time saver :...(

It is still available in Designer; for labels that are simply repeated on the page, that should work just fine.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Joaquim said:

using symbols was very easy as just changed any time the data and colour in one instance and done, now is going to be a lot harder work, why did you remove this feature?

To me though the Symbols Panel disappeared from View > Studio the panel is still open because I haven't closed it yet. Possibly you have a backup copy of the application Preference folder in a state with open Symbol Panel? Could be worth a trial to replace it.  ... user/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

18 hours ago, fde101 said:

It is still available in Designer; for labels that are simply repeated on the page, that should work just fine.

Yes, but i made it in publisher to use master pages too :( and i need to change date and color not the hole page.

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

To me though the Symbols Panel disappeared from View > Studio the panel is still open because I haven't closed it yet. Possibly you have a backup copy of the application Preference folder in a state with open Symbol Panel? Could be worth a trial to replace it.  ... user/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta

I'll try that, because i didn't update my one at home  and had the problem at work, thank you

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

On 5/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, thomaso said:

it Worked, thank you :)

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.