You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OCIO contextual transform support

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if Affinity Photo was capable of handling OCIO context variables?

It's quite common in the film industry to define context-driven colorspace(s) in the OCIO configuration. Either by having a variable part in the search path, or directly in the name of a LUT/CDL file.

Theses variables can be then set to different values at runtime and force updating the resources loaded by OCIO processor(s).

An example of this being implemented at the user-level is Nuke OCIODisplay and OCIOColorspace nodes that expose a "Context tab" where you can define key-values where the key is the name of variable and value the literal value (e.g. SHOT sc010_0010).

This is a quite essential feature for TV shows, feature film etc...

I'm happy to elaborate more if needed be.

Best,

Nicolas.

Edited by dsideb

• Staff

Hi dsideb and Welcome to the Forums,

My knowledge about OCIO is very limited but we do support a OCIO workflow, i'm not sure if it matches everything you are looking for, but this page in our Help explains a bit more about how we do things.

Might be worth checking out the 10 day trial from here and you'll be able to have a play around with the OCIO options.

If there is anything missing from the OCIO options, please let me know and i can get a Feature Request logged to see if we can get them added :) 

Hi Stokerg,

I actually have a license of Affinity Photo and did went through the documentation and online videos.
From what I see, the configuration is evaluated once and the interface only gives access to the Display transforms (as a combo-box selector in the 32-bit preview panel) and colorspaces (as a correction layer that applies a colorspace conversion).

If Affinity Photo had a scripting API and was exposing the current OCIO configuration, I would be able to update the variables through a script but I don't believe that's an option for now.

In any case, it would be better to offer a way for the user to re-define values of theses variables on the fly , and in that regard, Nuke's solution is a good inspiration:

nuke_ociodisplay_context.png

• Staff

Thanks for the extra information @dsideb as i said, my knowledge in this area is limit, so i appreciate you explaining how we could improve things.

I'll get this post moved over to the Feature Requests section for now but i will also log an improvement request with the Dev team to see if this is something they can do :) 

• 4 years later...