Near as I can tell, this is not possible on any iOS app - taking a text block and flowing it inside a shape. SVG has a proposed spec for this, but I think it's only implemented in Inkscape. Unless there's a functionality I missed in AD? 

If you were using Designer on the desktop, you could draw your shape, the either use the Layer menu and choose Convert to Text Frame, or double-click on the shape with the Frame Text tool. Then enter your text.

I don't know if that's possible with Designer on iPad.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

That was helpful. On the iPad, you can't really use the Layer menu to Convert to Text Frame, but double tapping with the Frame Text tool on a shape does convert the shape into a custom shaped text frame. I didn't know about this. The text frame is even editable with the node tool, although doing boolean operations with other shapes makes for some weird results so far.