eriksatie

Pixel size in Affinity Photo on High resolution monitor

Hi, I'm trying to understand how the "Pixel Size" view command works on a high resolution monitor. Seems to work as expected only on some circumstances.

I'm working on a Mac with a 27'' monitor that has a native resolution of 3840 x 2160. If I set the monitor to that resolution everything is ok: when I set the view to Pixel Size the image is displayed at the right magnification, so that 1 pixel in the image = 1 (physical) pixel in the monitor

The same is happening if I set the resolution to the standard "retina" resolution of 1920X1080. Everything is ok.

Things get tricky if I use the logical resolution of 2560 X 1440 (that is what I am usually using because it is the more natural on a 27'' monitor). Now if I set view to Pixel Size, the image is not pixel size anymore, but it is smaller. I have to set the zoom to about 120% to have a similar magnification, but I'm not sure that is exactly the same (in fact the image is not as sharper)

maybe I'm not getting it, but I suppose that the command "pixel size" view should always work in the same way, despite the resolution setting at OS level, that is: showing the image at the appropriate magnification to get 1 pixel in the image = 1 pixel in the monitor. this is critical to make adjustments to the image such as sharpening or grain mitigation

Hi @eriksatie,

I believe this is related to this:

Basically we used to draw pixel documents as though they were points - a 100x100 pixel document used to take up 100x100 points on your display (which is what you'd get if you put it on a website) but now we put 1 pixel on each pixel of your display, so a retina display will now show images half the size it used to - as per Photoshop.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

16 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @eriksatie,

I believe this is related to this:

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi Gabe, not exactly.

What I'm saying is that there is no way to view an image at pixel size (1 pixel in the image = 1 pixel in the monitor) if you are using a resolution different from the native resolution of the monitor or Retina resolution (half the resolution of the native)