You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Non Existent Master Page Bug

Hi all,

I found a bug: One of my documents (stripped-down version attached) causes Publisher to crash immediately as soon as you click on any element (not when you select elements in the layers palette, though). I think I found the culprit: Page 2 shows a second master page layer („Master-Seite“, see screenshot) – but there is only one master (without any content). When the 2nd master page layer is deleted in the layers palette, the file behaves normally again.

This behavior begs another question: I don’t know where the 2nd master layer comes from. Maybe I did create it a few months ago and then deleted it. But why is there still this remnant layer with a master page indicator stripe on the left?

2049819593_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-07um12_34_48.png.9a3cbc43d9b9db0c849f59199ac74561.png

double-masterpage-bug.afpub

36 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Bump!

The Affinity team is busy, but they will see your report and respond. In my experience it may take a few days or even a week, if they're exceptionally busy with other things. And now, of course, it's the weekend so, probably,  fewer of them are working at the moment. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sure they are, Walt. I do not expect the Affinity team to be aware of every petty post, they have work to do and they are doing it greatly. But there is also a huge community of talented fellow designers knowing lots of things I don’t. Hoping to tap into their knowledge is why I bumped on the weekend — just before this post will fade away into the mist of time.

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Sure they are, Walt. I do not expect the Affinity team to be aware of every petty post, they have work to do and they are doing it greatly. But there is also a huge community of talented fellow designers knowing lots of things I don’t. Hoping to tap into their knowledge is why I bumped on the weekend — just before the post fades away in the mist of time.

I could be wrong, but from what I've read I believe that every topic posted in the "Report bugs in Publisher beta..." forums creates a trouble ticket to ensure that the Affinity team will be aware of it. If I'm right on that, they may not be aware of every post, but they certainly know (or will know) that you created the topic :)

(But yes, the community may forget, or not notice, as you mentioned.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

They did comment in another thread that they were aware of a bug that was corrupting files by leaving behind master page layers for deleted master pages, but had not yet determined exactly what was causing that.  They are working that issue.

There was supposedly a bug fix in the most recent beta to prevent it from crashing when that happens, however.

Just checked the most recent beta with my faulty document. The bug seems to be fixed, Publisher does not crash anymore when there’s an abandoned master pager present and you click on an element. The abandoned layer however is still present and still indicated as a master page layer.

As long as it doesn’t do any harm to the rest of the file  I am fine with it.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:34 PM, fde101 said:

Have you tried deleting it?

Yes. It can be deleted. Could be also be deleted before 1.7.0.257. This is how I singled out the bug: By deleting the remnant layer on one page which in consequence didn't crash Publisher anymore while the other pages that still showed this layer kept on crashing it immediately.

• Staff

Hi,

We are aware of this bug, and although the program no longer crashes it is still invalid that this "invalid" Master Page can get created.

We have no recipe to do this, but it would make the program crash (in older builds). If anyone has any recipes to create this invalid master page I'd love to hear them as it might help us narrow this down.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.