You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I'm working in a PDF document from a CAD software and I need to select few objects (shadows in this case) and I would need to "save" the selection without grouping those layers. I tried Snapshots but it seems like the command do not store the selected layers. Is there a way to "Save" selected layers?

Cheers,
Juan

• Staff

Hi jc4d,
Snapshots save the current state of the whole document (not particular layers/objects). I'm afraid there's no way to link them somehow without grouping them or placing them all inside the same layer. The difference between grouping and placing them inside a layer is the group will behave as a single object on canvas unless you explicitly select one of the objects belonging to the group (double-clicking the object on canvas) while objects placed inside the same layer can be selected directly as independent objects on canvas (you can still move them all at once selecting the layer containing them in the Layers panel as if they were a group if you want).

Thanks for the explanation.
Let me give you an example:

test.thumb.jpg.9c2abe267464a66153cfcfda18c44fe2.jpg

As you can see in this screenshot I have this PDF file (which is a tiny portion of the whole document) where I need to select all the layers that are shadows and this has to be done clicking on each object, but there is a point that I need to jump to another project or restart the computer, etc. So I would like somehow to "store" the selected layers without altering the order since there are patterns an other layers on top and behind of this "shadow" layers and that´s why it is so important to keep the hierarchy as it is.

Another option is to have a Find option where I can select all the layers that has the same fill color for example which would be much more faster... Is this possible?

• Staff

Thanks. I'm afraid there's no way to to what you need with the current toolset/functionality. There's no support for linked (saved) layers or similar functions. Search/selection of objects by attributes is also not available yet but was requested quite a few times and as far as I know is planned for later. 

Thank you again for your time, I look forward to see the selection by attributes implemented. Well, we can use this topic as another example on why the selection by attributes is needed. Even if this feature is added only to Designer... my wallet is ready :D

• Staff

Hi jc4d,
I've checked this with the dev team and there's a few features being considered that would help here however as stated above I'm afraid currently there isn't an easy solution to deal with this. Hopefully things will get better as the apps gets improved. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for checking it :). I think the important thing here is that the team is considering to do something to support it at some point.
In the short time I have been using AP and see how the beta evolve, the team has risen the confidence on me on how they are open to implement and listen to us and our crazy ideas.

@jc4d

If you are using APhoto and all your "shadow" layers have a unique name you can create a macro that will just select all those layers.

Whenever you need the exact same layers reselected just rerun the macro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

@jc4d

If you are using APhoto and all your "shadow" layers have a unique name you can create a macro that will just select all those layers.

Whenever you need the exact same layers reselected just rerun the macro

Thank you, I didn't think about it. Sadly I just checked how the layers are named and this is not possible, since all the layers are without a name. :61_sob:

But anyway, would it be possible for you to explain how I could build a Macro to select the layers based on their names?

13 minutes ago, jc4d said:

But anyway, would it be possible for you to explain how I could build a Macro to select the layers based on their names?

Well, since it will be of no use to you for this project there's no point me doing so right now, as I have other stuff to do.

But when you have the time create a test document with named layers and see how you get on with the macro. 

If you get stuck just post back and I'll try to assist then.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.