You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In this lesson we set up a document inside of Affinity using guides to create bleeds. Then we go on to create a business card. Check it out and go create.

https://youtu.be/tDxQaOVVWrg

*Please note that this was created in 2015 using version 1.2, there have been a lot of updates since and the upcoming release of 1.7 will solve my work arounds for this tutorial.

Allan

Edited by Allan Thompson
This is an older tutorial.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Nice tutorial, Allan :) Very useful!

Thanks for the feedback Matt, always appreciated.

Allan.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Very nicely done.

Thank you!

Hi Cyran,

Glad you found this tutorial useful. Stay tuned for more.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you liked it Kristina.  :)

Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Peter... 

• 6 months later...

Very Nice tutorial buddy.

Thank you.  ;)

Allan

• 3 years later...

Guides are sorted by increasing numerical distance (or percentage) order so they are easy to check against each other. This is perfectly normal and any other sorting order would be confusing.
Guides should not be used to define bleed. Guides are there to help you define the layout of the document while bleed is more to do with how the document gets printed. (Guides are for ‘inside’ the page and bleed is for ‘outside’ the page.) Bleed should be defined using the Document Setup / Bleed options.
If you go to the Help and type Bleed into the search box you will get more information.
Note: Bleed is only shown on the canvas preview on AD version 1.7 (currently beta) and, presumably, after, but it should work with exported documents on 1.6.5. See this post for more information: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19696-bleed-lines-not-showing-on-document-affinity-designer

Thank you for the business card tutorial. Exactly what I was looking for regarding bleeds!

As far as the tutorial itself:

Pros: You made it easy to understand and you were quite detailed and nothing was left unanswered. Had no problem following along even tho I missed most of what was said.

Cons: too much lows in either the mic or speakers (or both), resulting in a very low, muffled tone of speech that was hard to hear for someone with hearing impairment, even with the volume way up.

The design is lovely! a bit hard to see in that darker color amongst the busy background. Perhaps a white color block behind the text and logo? 

Anyway, great tutorial, thank you very much and I'm looking forward to more of them!

@cimerio I think it is worth considering that the tutorial was posted in 2015 and AD has progressed quite a bit from then.

For example, the narrator on the video states very early on that AD 1.2 (we’re very close to having 1.7 now) doesn’t have bleeds, so they might be using guides to get round a limitation that no longer exists.

I haven’t watched the whole video but I think it might be wise that it is somehow flagged as - potentially, at least - ‘out-of-date’ as it could cause confusion in people using newer versions of the application. (Doesn’t need to be much, maybe just a note in the original post saying that some of the techniques used may no longer be best current practice.)

Just because a tutorial is old doesn’t mean that it is no longer relevant but tutorials that explain how to do things ‘the wrong way’ - when considering current application functionality and good practices - aren’t beneficial either for the users or to the reputation of the applications. (If a tutorial confuses a user that user might just blame the application.)

@Allan Thompson is still active in the community (as far as I know) so it might be nice if he could make a more up-to-date version of the video. I’m sure that people would appreciate the extra effort. (It would also be an opportunity for Allan to show off some of the techniques he has learned since 2015.)

On 5/28/2019 at 3:24 AM, Pariah73 said:

Thank you for the business card tutorial. Exactly what I was looking for regarding bleeds!

As far as the tutorial itself:

Pros: You made it easy to understand and you were quite detailed and nothing was left unanswered. Had no problem following along even tho I missed most of what was said.

Cons: too much lows in either the mic or speakers (or both), resulting in a very low, muffled tone of speech that was hard to hear for someone with hearing impairment, even with the volume way up.

The design is lovely! a bit hard to see in that darker color amongst the busy background. Perhaps a white color block behind the text and logo? 

Anyway, great tutorial, thank you very much and I'm looking forward to more of them!

Thanks for the feedback, it was a number of years ago I made this, in my early days of using the app. I haven't made any tutorials for a number of years now.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, GarryP said:

@cimerio I think it is worth considering that the tutorial was posted in 2015 and AD has progressed quite a bit from then.

For example, the narrator on the video states very early on that AD 1.2 (we’re very close to having 1.7 now) doesn’t have bleeds, so they might be using guides to get round a limitation that no longer exists.

I haven’t watched the whole video but I think it might be wise that it is somehow flagged as - potentially, at least - ‘out-of-date’ as it could cause confusion in people using newer versions of the application. (Doesn’t need to be much, maybe just a note in the original post saying that some of the techniques used may no longer be best current practice.)

Just because a tutorial is old doesn’t mean that it is no longer relevant but tutorials that explain how to do things ‘the wrong way’ - when considering current application functionality and good practices - aren’t beneficial either for the users or to the reputation of the applications. (If a tutorial confuses a user that user might just blame the application.)

@Allan Thompson is still active in the community (as far as I know) so it might be nice if he could make a more up-to-date version of the video. I’m sure that people would appreciate the extra effort. (It would also be an opportunity for Allan to show off some of the techniques he has learned since 2015.)

Thanks Garry, you're right there have been a number of changes since I made this. Unfortunately I've stopped making tutorials for reasons I can't say, shame really as I really enjoyed them. 

Looking forward to the 1,7 release which will help a lot, the date on the original post is 2015, so hopefully it would be an indication that is is an older tutorial. Thanks for the suggestion on flagging it somehow, I'm sure I can edit the original post.

Allan, thanks for making it clear in the original post that the tutorial is an old one. I’m sure that will help.
It’s understandable that you have stopped making tutorials. Circumstances change for different reasons and no-one can keep making these things forever.
Hopefully people will still be able to get things from the tutorial as it is while understanding that some techniques used may not be current best practice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone !

Could someone explain, please 

how the problem of the bleeds looks today (2 July 2019)

for Affinity Designer 1.7 for iPad  ?

I’d like to made a business card, 50 x 90 mm.

I’ve made a document 56 x 96 mm. (for 3 mm. of bleed each side).

I can see the lines of the bleed, but I can’t see the content of it... Why ?

Thank you !

It may be helpful if you could attach a copy of the file so someone can look at it. Also this would have been better posted in the Affinity Support & Questions Forum rather than the tutorial as this thread is quite old. If your file is private when you post in the other forum if the answer is not obvious Support will give you a secure link to upload your file.

I cannot answer your question as my first thought was that you did not have View>show bleed ticked, but in that case you would not see the bleed lines. The only other thought was if you were meaning image extending the bleed i.e on the background. which pressing the \ key would turn this on or off.

Hope this helps in anyway, I just happened to scroll to the end of this thread by chance

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

29 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

It may be helpful if you could attach a copy of the file so someone can look at it. Also this would have been better posted in the Affinity Support & Questions Forum rather than the tutorial as this thread is quite old.

Additionally, it’s worth noting that this tutorial is/was aimed at users of the desktop versions of Affinity Designer.

23 hours ago, atopos said:

Hello Everyone !

Could someone explain, please 

how the problem of the bleeds looks today (2 July 2019)

for Affinity Designer 1.7 for iPad  ?

There are some important differences between the desktop versions and the iPad version.

33 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I cannot answer your question as my first thought was that you did not have View>show bleed ticked, but in that case you would not see the bleed lines. The only other thought was if you were meaning image extending the bleed i.e on the background. which pressing the \ key would turn this on or off.

See my previous comment in this post!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...