You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Severe delay when docking and undocking Swatch Panel

It's weird the video that i recorded, it shows the interface when it is in a freeze state, but it turns into a blank screen with the "placeholder" showing the highlight color only where the panel is supposed to appear... then it appears in place... the effect varies...

There is also delay and dull spots where you go to pull/manipulate other panels. It sometimes doesn't register the drag. Other times, it delays and causes a panel to be moved to the wrong place or a slight lag before it is finally refreshed.

Additional thoughts...

1) Whatever is being used for interface in Affinity in Windows is not very good in my opinion. It just seems like there is always some sort of interface problem on multi-monitor and there is a lack of responsiveness there when working. I sometimes click for something and it will not register. Even in the non-beta program it has those hickups occasionally.

2) This in my opinion also makes the brush engine nearly unusable for any significant painting, even if it's just mark-making. But I definitely can't be blending anything due to major dropper lag. It doesn't read the pen pressure reliably enough, seems to non-linear? It's very difficult to produce smooth enough gradients, as the pen will always register too hard or soft, no matter what the Wacom settings are.

I think the interface issue is a major contributor for 1+2. At least from my usage of the normal program and its beta. Looking forward to future updates and I hope it is fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @debraspicher,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I could not reproduce this in the latest build. Can you please check it again and confirm if it's still an issue? If it is, can you please attach another screen recording, but this time with the Task Manager > Processes opened to one side so we can see what's going on?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I just updated PC (CPU/RAM/Mobo, etc) so I might not be as helpful to make the best comparison now, but I can provide some feedback.

There's no lag with just regular switch window (no new swatches added yet). The docking/un-docking speed is normal. At least on the beta I tested.

However, when loading a Pantone library where there are a lot more swatches, there is a pause but not nearly as bad as before. Just a few seconds. Even sizing the window, there is some pause. So it may have to do with the amount of swatches... there is no major jump in CPU usage, it goes from 4% to 9%... woo.

I can still provide video later if necessary. I'm still setting up my PC and getting some projects finished, so won't be able to do it at this moment.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.