You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

so I'm trying to open PDFs just as pictures because I don't have all the fonts that were used.

Everytime I open a PDF I get this message with checkboxes if I want to edit the text and use alternative fonts for the ones i don't have but it doesn't matter which one i check, the result is the same everytime. The Text is always editable and the fonts i don't have are always replaced.

Did I miss something like an option? Because I thought it would be possible to edit a PDF like a picture

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards, 

Matthias Schulz

Is there any chance that embedded fonts will be supported in the not too distant future?

As the only way to open old PagePlus etc  documents in Affinity is via PDFs, it would be really helpful if it could open them with the correct fonts.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

51 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

As the only way to open old PagePlus etc  documents in Affinity is via PDFs, it would be really helpful if it could open them with the correct fonts

But if you have PagePlus, and created the documents, doesn't that indicate that you have the fonts installed? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Rubyjim said:

Can you not save the document as a picture .jpg ?

Not if you want to edit it!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But if you have PagePlus, and created the documents, doesn't that indicate that you have the fonts installed? 

Not necessarily, if the PagePlus file was created on a different PC!

Also, it's not just PagePlus files, I have had several PDFs with embedded fonts that I haven't been able to open and edit satisfactorily.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

in the not too distant future?

What does that mean for you? One day, month, year?

This feature has been required long:

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

What does that mean for you? One day, month, year? 

This feature has been required long:

So does that mean we should just forget about it and assume it's never going to happen! :/

Serif say that the way to open files from their legacy products (and various other file types they don't support in Affinity) is via PDF. However, if their PDF import does not support embedded fonts, this can cause a lot of problems and extra work!

• 3 months later...

Good to hear embedded font support is something that might appear in the future. It's one thing that is keeping me glued to my adobe subscription :( (luckily my company pays for that - whereas my affinity products I bought personally because they are affordable!)
I have a workflow for a particular job, where I need to make a set of thumbnail images from a batch of pdf files (40+), showing just the opening cover (page 1) of each. So the other thing that would be useful is to be able to somehow select a single page on the batch job input dialogue rather than it automatically open them all up and output it as a contact sheet of pages.
Apart from that, I'm really very impressed with Affinity Photo and what it has to offer. Haven't found much else that it can't cope with so far.