You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer effects reset after switching to Inpaint brush (251)

Other brushes of the same category (like Healing) also trigger this problem.

Steps to reproduce:

• Open a new document.
  • Use the Text tool, apply any layer effects.
  • Switch to one of the correction brushes, like Inpaint.
  • Use the brush.

This resets all layer effects previously applied to the text. Quite nagging if you already used a bunch of effects.
Sometimes the problem occurs right after selecting the brush, sometimes not before putting the brush to use.
Seems like the issue is triggered only with the very first text item used, maybe connected with rasterizing the layer.

Edited by Jörn Reppenhagen

• Staff

Ah, this happens because it rasterizes the layer.

If you pre-empt this and rasterize it first, you get asked if you want to preserve the Layer FX. So I'm guessing when the auto-rasterization occurs, it decides that it doesn't want to preserve the Layer FX. So the question I need to ask development is if this is by design or should we be asked to preserve the Layer FX whenever a layer is rasterized—be it automatically or manually. 

Chris: Indeed, that's also been my idea. Doesn't happen with 1.6 - and shouldn't happen "by design".  :)

Right yesterday, I did some highly important :D works for a German sex toy wholesaler, spent quite some time with the text design - only to find out all efforts gone after spotting some dust on the "device" and quickly removing it with the Inpaint brush. Removing the dust also removed all my layer effects in an instant, and caused a highly audible stream of real bad words we better don't discuss in detail. :D

So fixing it might prove to be a "sound" idea. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.