You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Background blur?

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

When I first open the image it works. As soon as I have selected any layer just the background layer is movable. But the Blur layer is locked. When it's unlocked it works as intended.

Don't try to select the Blur layer (what @h_d labeled the "Blurred image" layer). Select only the rounded rectangle layer (the child layer of the Blur layer) by clicking on its thumbnail in the Layers panel. 

5a94103a85229_Clickhere.png.24fee9df767f3ea7f63a125ecd684476.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 hours ago, R C-R said:

How so? You can drag both layers anywhere you want on the canvas, including back to where it was originally, or just delete them.

What i saw was a blur layer with the blur in a fixed position and a rounded rectangle (of the same size) layer on top of it. When you move the two together it seems to make sense, but suppose you want to change the corner radius of the rounded rectangle? 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

21 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

What i saw was a blur layer with the blur in a fixed position and a rounded rectangle (of the same size) layer on top of it. When you move the two together it seems to make sense, but suppose you want to change the corner radius of the rounded rectangle? 

Using the method posted by @h_d you just need to select the rounded rectangle from the Layers panel as above, but use the Node Tool instead of the Move Tool. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2018. 02. 25. at 10:31 PM, R C-R said:

How so? You can drag both layers anywhere you want on the canvas, including back to where it was originally, or just delete them.

Sounds like a re-occurring issue with understanding terminology used by many people.

"Non-destructive" is often understood as having the ability to do steps A, B, C, then return to whatever changes/settings were applied at step A and being able to modify them withing having to redo steps B and C, and still get the same image as if you would have re-done steps B and C.

You might say that "non-destructive" is not a good name for this ability, but you should understand that it is viewed as a benefit by many. Since Affinity obviously aspires to be non-destructive in this sense with the many live adjustments, so it makes sense to point out that neither of the solutions presented can achieve that.

Consider step A to be the creation of the shape, step B being the creation of blur layer, and step C being the copy of the shape to be also a mask of the blur layer. You can not change the parameters or type of shape (step A) and get a consistent result, without also repeating step C and copy the new shape to be mask of the blur.

Edit: Note that I am assuming that one would like to reproduce the original Background Blur, not just a blur masked to a shape. In proper background blur you have a shape/image with it's own colors and when that is blended in, the background color used for blending is blurred before blending. See the animation with the watch earlier where the layer with background blur has a darker gray color and text as well.

1 hour ago, shojtsy said:

"Non-destructive" is often understood as having the ability to do steps A, B, C, then return to whatever changes/settings were applied at step A and being able to modify them withing having to redo steps B and C, and still get the same image as if you would have re-done steps B and C.

How could you possibly get anything back to the C image without doing the steps that made those specific changes to it?

Of course, in Affinity you have the History panel & snapshots, & in Affinity Photo the Undo Brush Tool as well.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...

Hey, what is the status on this? This is really something I need. At the moment, I edit most of my images in Sketch because of that. I don't want to remember step A,B,C to do such a basic Apple UI feature which most design tools has. Sure AFP it is considered as a Photoshop alternative for image editing in first place but also native macOS (metal). I quite often black out images and because it is that hard to do that in AFP I'm using Sketch but Sketch isn't that nice for just image editing. Would be great to: import the image in AFP → create a shape on what to blur/black out → select "Effect → Backdrop blur" → adjust → export.