You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change color with Fill Tool in PSD files

Hello, SO FRUSTRATED. Am trying to edit color in a layer by using fill tool. Am new too all graphics tools. Have sample image attached. It has 3 layers. In Draw Persona, I turn off line layers and view only color layer of dog. Click Fill tool. Click in dog to get color. Click in color wheel to change color (red) but instead whole background goes red and dog is unchanged. HELP?

I have tried same process on 2 psd files and no success. I seem to be unable to ungroup the parts of the dog too, but in original, these are ungrouped.

3 (2).psd

7 hours ago, BlueSquirrel said:

SO FRUSTRATED

Pixel Persona, Flood Fill Tool, Tolerance 0%, click on color area, which you want to change.

Fill Tool, of course, fills the entire contents of the object, in this case, the content of the entire layer (this is a Pixel Layer).

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_gradient.html

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

All the layers in your file are pixel layers, so to change the color of just some of the "color" layer one way is to create a 'marching ants' selection for the part(s) you want to recolor & then use the fill or brush tools to paint the selections.

Since you said "Draw Persona" I am guessing you are using Affinity Designer, so the first thing you should do is switch to the Pixel Persona to make the pixel oriented tools available. In the attached dog 3 (2).afdesign file (history included) I used the "Select Sampled Color..." item on the Select menu to select just the main dog color, copied & pasted that selection into a new layer, & filled it with red using the Flood Fill tool. I did the same for the ear color & the nose color, filling each of them with a different color.

You could skip the copy & paste steps & change the colors directly on your "color" layer. I did that so each color had its own layer & the original "color" layer is preserved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

RCR

Thank you! I was able to understand the second part, using the selection too to get marching ant But Something isn’t quite working for me yet. When I use select sample color tool,  The marching ants toggle between selecting the dog and the ear color.,  depending on where in the picture I tap. However, when I use the flood fill tool, both the main dog color and the inner ear color change to the new color, Regardless of whether I attached in the inner ear or on Main dog.  In this scenario I omitted the copy and paste just understand of the selection part . I think maybe I’m doing something wrong in the selecting process?

When you use the "Select Sampled Color..." item on the Select menu, do you have the "color" layer selected? If so, & you click somewhere near the center of the dog, do you see a 'marching ants' dotted line selection that includes all of the color of that part of the image?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7