You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clone Brush Problem with Flip Horizontal

I first noticed this problem in 1.6.5.123 but it's also in 1.7.0.251 so I'm adding it here.  The issue is at least one of the clone brush options do not recognize image rotations.

I open an image

monkey1.jpg.d48563035f2e04627c4a2f3b6b26d088.jpg

which I straighten

monkey2.jpg.ea5352ce5a69eefa90ee2c7e980bb2fe.jpg

I select the clone brush, alt-click the inner corner of the monkey's right eye (our left) and clone it to the upper left.

monkey3.jpg.69eec0a31a72b72153fbc0b2f2f19a2b.jpg

Then I change the clone Flip option to Horizontal and repeat the clone:

monkey4.jpg.8ac2ff8e2efbb85bb4ec671f950e09b6.jpg

Note the highlights in the eyes: AP flipped the cloned section horizontally, but is sampling from the original, unrotated image.  I expected to get a mirror image of the same leveled eye.

Lemuel Johnson

Maybe the OP could provide  a "full screen" snapshot (with the layers panel & context toolbar visible)  or even better attach the native " .afphoto" file.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I also do not have this problem...Beta 251 works as expected.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

I think the OP is right

You need to Rasterise the image after you rotate it to get the expected results from the Clone Tool when using the Flip horizontal setting (and Flip vertical)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

This occurs only when cloning to the same layer not when cloning onto a new pixel layer as per your screenshot 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
42 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I think the OP is right

You need to Rasterise the image after you rotate it to get the expected results from the Clone Tool when using the Flip horizontal setting (and Flip vertical)

I did rasterise but I didn't rotate my document anywhere near enough for this to be noticable! 

53 minutes ago, carl123 said:

This occurs only when cloning to the same layer not when cloning onto a new pixel layer as per your screenshot 

Indeed, confirmed.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.