You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CR2 files not opening in Portrait orientation in 1.7.0.111

With the latest beta 1.7.0.111 I find that all my .CR2 files open in landscape orientation whereas the commercial release has them open correctly in either Portrait or Landscape orientation.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Would you mind uploading one of your CR2 files into this private Dropbox folder so we can investigate?

Done, I should add that both 1.6.7 and the beta 1.7.0.111 are using the Serif Raw engine, and that the Mac OS quick look preview generated image is also in the 'wrong' orientation meaning Landscape rather than Portrait.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

Thanks for the file!

I've opened this in a number of apps and this is what I found:

Opens the image in landscape

1. Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.111
  2. Adobe Photoshop 
  3. Adobe Lightroom
  4. Apple Photos
  5. Apple Preview

Opens the image in portrait

1. Affinity Photo 1.6
  2. IrfanView (which is the app I normally trust) o.O

To clarify, do you believe that this is now the wrong behavior, or were you reporting it because it was different?

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

This is interesting (particularly the comments at the bottom): http://michel.thoby.free.fr/CR2_orientation_Mystery/Wrong_rotation_of_RAW_image.html

[ Expletive Deleted ] That is it. I feel like such an idiot.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the file!

I've opened this in a number of apps and this is what I found:

Opens the image in landscape

1. Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.111
  2. Adobe Photoshop 
  3. Adobe Lightroom
  4. Apple Photos
  5. Apple Preview

Opens the image in portrait

1. Affinity Photo 1.6
  2. IrfanView (which is the app I normally trust) o.O

To clarify, do you believe that this is now the wrong behavior, or were you reporting it because it was different?

I believed it was both wrong and different.

Totally my problem, I had the setting in the camera for rotate set to ignore, somehow Affinity Photo 1.6 ignored this and gave me the Portrait presentation which is how I shot the picture.

To clarify the problem, it is with Affinity Photo 1.6 in that it is (incorrectly) rotating the image to Portrait. The beta is honouring the camera's setting (which I have now changed).

This can now be closed, I was completely at fault here. I also have no idea why I set the camera that way. 

[shame faced emoticon] [embarrassed emoticon] [mea culpa emoticon]

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.