You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CMYK PDF export not wholesome

Sent a magazine to printer, they said photos are in RGB. I had exported as PDF 1.4, CMYK, profiles attached. Sent another without profiles attached, hoping that makes a difference in their RIP. This is quite a hassle as now that I'm not paying Adobe anymore, I can't check or edit my PDFs in Acrobat either. or I could, by paying them like 15 eurobucks a month…

Please tell me I don't have to revert to CMYK workflow again. That's so 90's.

Or point me towards an affordable PDF editor allows me to check if my s**t is CMYK or RGB.

Thanks for your shoulder.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

24 minutes ago, Läppä said:

Sent a magazine to printer, they said photos are in RGB. I had exported as PDF 1.4, CMYK, profiles attached. Sent another without profiles attached, hoping that makes a difference in their RIP. This is quite a hassle as now that I'm not paying Adobe anymore, I can't check or edit my PDFs in Acrobat either. or I could, by paying them like 15 eurobucks a month…

Please tell me I don't have to revert to CMYK workflow again. That's so 90's.

Or point me towards an affordable PDF editor allows me to check if my s**t is CMYK or RGB.

Thanks for your shoulder.

The only way I can get a CMYK-only PDF  using only "levels" for the PDF (like your 1.4 level) and having RGB images, is to purposefully pick a different output profile from the document. But then that converts 100% k items to a rich black.

OK, so selecting the colour space in PDF options does …nothing? I thought it was, like, leave as is / convert to RGB / convert to CMYK. But maybe that is not what it does.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

Just now, Läppä said:

OK, so selecting the colour space in PDF options does …nothing? I thought it was, like, leave as is / convert to RGB / convert to CMYK. But maybe that is not what it does.

I think tagging RGB images is great for a modern workflow. But only if the print establishment support such PDFs.

It just isn't what we always need. APub basically lies to me. If I import an RGB image, it says it is a CMYK image with a profile of RGB. So, which is it really? I think we know, it is really RGB. We do need a means of absolute conversion and I too would have thought choosing CMYK in the export options would do just that. But it doesn't.

And these external editors seem …not less price-prohibitive than Acrobat…

Callas Toolbox is realatively expensive, the enfocus solution is ,just' 140 GBP (about 180 Euros?) without a subscription ... not cheap, but reasonable if it does what you need it to do.

I have, by the way, exported several of my projects for printing and it always worked as expected. Are you using the current release version or the current beta?

14 minutes ago, Läppä said:

And these external editors seem …not less price-prohibitive than Acrobat…

They are perpetual license. Also note that pdfToolbox is not an editor as in editing content like Acrobat. callas is who licenses its stuff for Acrobat, though. For professionals that need such tools, they are the only alternatives to Acrobat.

But one shouldn't need them in the normal course of work...as long as the application does what it says. These tools are for fixing issues that can arise due to other circumstances. I need pdfToolbox and Acrobat, but that is due to PDFs (mostly ads) being supplied that in some way need fixing.

APub should just work as specified.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

But one shouldn't need them in the normal course of work...as long as the application does what it says. These tools are for fixing issues that can arise due to other circumstances. I need pdfToolbox and Acrobat, but that is due to PDFs (mostly ads) being supplied that in some way need fixing.

APub should just work as specified.

My thinking exactly. The last I needed to preflight PDFs was when I worked in prepress… ;)

Tried this app: http://zevrix.com/pdfcheckpoint.php – it converted MOST photos to CMYK, but not all. Which is as useless as not converting any.
Enfocus trial gave me an eternal beach ball effect, maybe because I didn't have any Adobe software installed. 

I haven't been able to test, but this might work. Right-click on your PDF file and choose Open With > ColorSync Utility. Once it's opened, at the bottom of the window there is a Filter popup menu. Pick "Create Generic PDFX-3 Document", then click apply. This is based on El Capitan, but hopefully it hasn't changed in Mojave.

This supposedly will make it a CMYK PDF.

I agree though, that this needs to work directly from Publisher and I can't consider it for press work until that kind of thing works properly.

On 3/7/2019 at 6:40 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

I haven't been able to test, but this might work. Right-click on your PDF file and choose Open With > ColorSync Utility. Once it's opened, at the bottom of the window there is a Filter popup menu. Pick "Create Generic PDFX-3 Document", then click apply. This is based on El Capitan, but hopefully it hasn't changed in Mojave.

This supposedly will make it a CMYK PDF.

Affinity Publisher can of course export PDFs as /X-3 standard.  

Apple's own ColorSync Filter for "Generic PDF/X-3" is quite poor. It sets transparency resolution to 72dpi, for starters. Quartz Filters haven't changed since OS X 10.0.0.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, Läppä said:

If that color space matches the one in the source document I believe it would only be used if something is being rasterized - I could be mistaken as I have done no real testing of this myself at this point but that is my current understanding from the pieces of things I've seen floating around the forums.

Soo… I trust making a PDF/X-3 document uses just the same settings that are available to us. Nothing hidden. So the convert to CMYK functionality is there, to be found, huh? Either that or the PDF/X-3 should produce just as flawed results.

Right?

EDIT: I checked, and specifying PDF/X-3 leaves colour space to “as document”. Useful? Not.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.