You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching between mac and windows

I've seen on this forums and on the FAQ that licenses are not transferrable. From google search and previous forum posts, this was due to using the Mac Store which handled the licensing part for Affinity and tied it to the user's appleID. However, when I installed the trial versions of Mac, I did so using the installer and not the app store. I presume the method of installation has changed (and while it is still available from the Mac store), it is now also stand-alone. 

I am a scientist and really loved using Affinity designer to polish my figures and plots. It is also much cheaper than alternative software. But my personal computer is a Windows. My home work-station is a Mac, second station is a Windows. My lab computer is a mac. 

Must I buy 4 different licenses? 2 different licenses? or can I now use a single license since I can "input" a license key when using Mac/Windows installer. 

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the Affinity forums.

You need one licence for all your Mac computers and one for all your Windows computers.  (The licence agreement stipulates that all the computers concerned must be owned and used by you exclusively.)  

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Thanks, another question. I will purchase the Windows one since I own these computers personally. My MAC lab computer is the property of the lab. 

If I buy using the MS store on one computer, do I get the license to install on the second computer? I ask because only one of the Windows is signed in using my MS account. The other one is using a secondary account (also mine). Is it just better to buy off the website and receive a key instead? 

There is a price difference on the store and on the website... is there a way to price match?

53 minutes ago, masfenix said:

If I buy using the MS store on one computer, do I get the license to install on the second computer? I ask because only one of the Windows is signed in using my MS account. The other one is using a secondary account (also mine). Is it just better to buy off the website and receive a key instead? 

You could sign out from the MS Store on the second computer, sign in using your other account, install the application, and share it with your other account. (Exact details left as an exercise for you; the MS Store Help or the MS site or Google will reveal the details.)

Personally, though you lose (for now, at least) the auto-update facility you'd get with installing via the MS Store, I'd recommend buying directly from Serif.

1. Installation on multiple computers is easier, especially if they use different Windows identities.
  2. You don't get a sandboxed version with some limitations imposed by Microsoft.
  3. I think returning the software  (14 day return policy) is simpler with Serif than with the MS Store if it turns out you can't use the application for some reason.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1