You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am considering switching from Adobe. I run my own graphic design business and currently use Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator daily. Would the Affinity products be sufficient and would I be able to open / import PSD, INDD and AI files into this software?

Edited by hmschiefer

• Staff

Hi Hmschiefer,

Welcome to the forums :)

This forum is for Affinity programs, your question seems to be directed to Corel Draw I recommend posting on their forums.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Yes and no... The suite of products that Affinity offers can replace adobe’s products, but there is not yet translators for opening ID files.  Most of the other files (.ai .psd, etc) can be opened and worked on, but there are some limitations as one would expect to experience trying to decode other software developers formats. That being said, if you’re not trying to share files with adobe users, you can easily move your workflow to Affinity and be just as productive and not be tied to a subscription model for the rest of your design career.

This was very helpful. I am in the process of trying out a few different things now and hope to make a decision before my next Adobe renewal date. I was just informed of their huge rate increase and I'm so disappointed. Thanks for your insight.

I made the switch a little over a year ago and haven’t looked back.  I still have CS 5.5 on my machine that I can open most newer documents, although it does come up with a warning, so as long as you’re not dealing with complex gradients or similar complexities, it is fine. Just as an FYI, I also use Coreldraw occasionally and it is fine, but I prefer the Affinity products. 

That's great to know! I'm so worried about being able to edit the files I've been creating over the last 10 years. Adobe shut down my CS6 a couple years ago saying it wasn't an authorized copy despite my paying full price from someone they recommended. ¬¬ Unfortunately, I don't have the option to keep an older version on my machine anymore. InDesign is really my biggest concern. I have a couple clients that I layout multi-page projects for a couple times a year and they sometimes require the InDesign file themselves. Not sure if we'll be able to strike some kind of arrangement, but this info is certainly helpful. Thanks so much!

Affinity products use the PDF portion of Adobe files so please bear that in mind, It would be worth your while downloading the trial software, I think it has a ten day trial period so make use of that time to import files you want to edit to see if Affinity can do want you need it to do. I would also suggest trialing one app at a time unless you have time to trial both retail apps.

Also do some searching for terms like import psd and import Ai files. Affinity Publisher Beta cannot import indesign files as far as I am aware, so those files would likely have to be exported as PDF first but again try searching for posts on indesign files and importing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi hmschiefer,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Publisher doesn't support INDD files directly but it will support IDML (Adobe InDesign Markup Language) files - you can always convert them to IDML for import. It also imports PDF's. Regarding Adobe Illustrator as long as the Ai file is saved with PDF compatible file ticked/checked Affinity will be able to import the data contained in the PDF stream. Adobe Photoshop PSD files are well supported although a few features are not yet imported. Currently smart objects are rasterised on import - we do hope to add support for them at some point.

Affinity Publisher is currently in Public Beta. If you are willing to give it a try you can download it from here for your OS (the latest Beta is usually pinned at the top of the respective section).

While having a CC subscription or an ID running, thinking and preparing files for the day we can switch to APub is a good idea.

Like ensuring each INDD file is also exported as IDML (there are scripts to export as IDML all files in a folder and subfolders).

And if needing to work now with APub, a good idea is to export files as PDF, and Master pages too! Others scripts can help to create in ID text frames listing (and using) all paragraph and character styles, and it's easy to copy-paste those lines in APub and this way easily have all the styles in an APub document, event the ones not used in the PDF export.

When APub'll be able to open IDML files, it'll be simpler!