You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Daft question- when I try to download the resource e.g.  https://affinity.co/panther it opens in affinity photo. How can I get it to open In Affinity Designer or how can I copy the symbol logo into assets in Affinity Designer.

Any help gratefully received.

• Staff

Timbo 4780,

Welcome to the forums :)

You should be able to right click the file and choose Open With > Affinity Designer.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Start Designer and open the file via it's "File > Open..." menu command, you have to navigate to the place you stored that file on your OS filesystem.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You need to unzip the file you downloaded.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, timbo 4780 said:

Thanks - but then it goes to a Affinity Photo file and opens in that application

Unzipping the .zip file would not open it anywhere. It would just create a folder of files.

At that point, right-clicking on one of the files should slow you to choose Open With and select Designer. Or, as suggested above, you could open Designer and then use File > Open.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hmm. OK, so tell me if any of this is wrong:

1. You typed the URL shown in your first post into your web browser's location bar, and it popped up a box asking if you wanted to open the file or save it (and you chose save), or depending on your browser possibly it just saved it for you. In either case you end up with panther.zip in your Downloads directory.
  2. You open Windows File Explorer and navigate to your Downloads directory, or (depending your browser) you click on the downloaded file in your browser. Either of those would give you a Windows File Explorer window where you can click on Extract All and save the individual files. You do that.
  3. That gives you a directory called panther, containing a bunch of .afdesign files and one .jpg file. These are the files you will use (as instructed) when doing the Workbook exercise.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, timbo 4780 said:

It's the extracting the files which is my problem - I include a screenshot fyi.

Now I'm a bit confused. You started out talking about panther, but that screenshot is for photocoreskills.

In any case, that screenshot it's of a directory, already extracted from a zip file.

It would help if you would change your View options to show the file type, rather than hiding it.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

It would help if you would change your View options to show the file type, rather than hiding it.

It would help if Microsoft were to change the default View option to show the file type, rather than hiding it! I’ve never understood why they thought that they should automatically hide extensions for known file types.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)