You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I purchased the Photo Workbook a year or so ago, and managed to download one of the resource projects. I now find resource links in the red boxes just don't work, regardless of which site (e.g.Chrome) I key them in to. I think Affinity Photo is excellent and make use of its inbuilt tutorials, but it is frustrating not to be able to source the Workbook projects. my desktop is Windows 10.  

John E.

Make sure you're typing them exactly as shown in the book, and into your browser's address/location bar (not into a search bar).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

59 minutes ago, John Eley said:

I was using the wrong bar, though the Workbook doesn't make it clear about NOT using the normal (and more prominent) search bar which I imagine most people would go to?

What browser version & OS are you using? Most browsers these days have a combined address/search bar, so if you type in a complete URL & press return they open the URL, even if they have a drop down list of suggested search results.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My Chrome default new-tab page does not have a separate search bar. Edge does, but

1. The top bar is labeled "Search or enter web address";
  2. The other one is labeled "Search the web".

While Serif could perhaps make it clearer in the book, in my strictly personal opinion I feel that users should know the difference between searching and specifying an address. But I know that some don't, as I have to re-explain that to friends occasionally. And because you're not the first Affinity user to be confused by that, either.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for the search engines to recognize when someone has typed a URL into the search box, and provide that URL as the top hit resoult. Neither Bing nor Google do that; I haven't checked any others.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps there is an opportunity for the search engines to recognize when someone has typed a URL into the search box, and provide that URL as the top hit resoult. Neither Bing nor Google do that; I haven't checked any others.

As a Mac user I don't know anything about Edge but in every browser I have used (including Chrome, Firefox, Opera, & Safari) if you just type a complete URL into the top bar & press return (or a 'load page' or 'go' button if provided), the browser opens the address the URL points to.

Also, most web browsers offer a choice of search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, or DuckDuckGo that may affect the search results, but that should not make any difference if a valid web address URL is entered into the address bar.

I think the bigger, more prominent search bar the OP is referring to might be the search field on a web page for Google or Bing or the like set as the browser's 'home page' that the browser opens by default.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As a Mac user I don't know anything about Edge but in every browser I have used (including Chrome, Firefox, Opera, & Safari) if you just type a complete URL into the top bar & press return (or a 'load page' or 'go' button if provided), the browser opens the address the URL points to.

Also, most web browsers offer a choice of search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, or DuckDuckGo that may affect the search results, but that should not make any difference if a valid web address URL is entered into the address bar.

I think the bigger, more prominent search bar the OP is referring to might be the search field on a web page for Google or Bing or the like set as the browser's 'home page' that the browser opens by default.

Yes, using the Location bar directly works, even if the browser is treating it as dual-purpose (URL or search).

The default page/tab for Edge (and perhaps some others) has a more prominent Search bar, and it is used (as far as I can tell) solely as input to Google, Bing, or whatever search engine the user has configured. Putting a URL into that bar does not work properly, in my opinion. None of the search engines I have tried recognize that it is a URL, and none of them provides it as the top hit in the search results. (It would be fine for the search engine to also provide a list of web sites that refer to that URL, but it would be more friendly to less careful or less knowledgeable users to have the first hit result be the web site address they entered.)

-- Walt
PC:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Putting a URL into that bar does not work properly, in my opinion.

Thanks for that info about the default for Edge -- I have no way of testing it on a Mac. But I assume the Windows version of Chrome works the same as the Mac version, so if you enter a URL (like for example "apple.com") in its dual purpose location bar & press return, does it open https://www.apple.com/ or whatever, or do something else?

Affinity Photo 

If you enter a URL into the "location or search" bar it works fine. The problem is only when you enter a URL into the single-purpose Search bar.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you enter a URL into the "location or search" bar it works fine. The problem is only when you enter a URL into the single-purpose Search bar.

I'm confused. In the Goggle Chrome browser on your PC, do you have a single-purpose Search bar or not? In the Mac version on my Mac, there is just the one dual purpose one.

Affinity Photo