You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relinking Files

I couldn't find this suggestion when I searched for it. If it has already been suggested, then disregard this.

But in InDesign, if you "place" a file and then update it, InDesign recognizes the change and has a Links window that will let you know the file has been changed.

I couldn't find a Links window in Publisher and it would be cool to be able to relink the corrected file.

When you create a document you can choose whether placed documents should be embedded or linked by default.

There's also a Preference in the General section to automatically update linked documents that are changed externally.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Resource Mangager and side panel is a really, really great idea :D!!!

Despite the default setting, the linked image is not automatically updated in the publisher (in the current beta version!) ... manual via the resource manager is a bit tedious ... :35_thinking:

#resourceManager #linked #images #files #update #automatic #publisher #249

4 hours ago, honiglachs said:

Despite the default setting, the linked image is not automatically updated in the publisher (in the current beta version!) ... manual via the resource manager is a bit tedious

There are two settings.

1. For the document, to prefer linked or embedded.

2. For the application, via Preferences/General, to automatically update linked files when they're changed. Sounds like you haven't set that one.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

56 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are two settings.

1. For the document, to prefer linked or embedded. 

2. For the application, via Preferences/General, to automatically update linked files when they're changed. Sounds like you haven't set that one.

both are set

2 minutes ago, honiglachs said:

both are set

Interesting. Publisher automatically updates the linked files for me. If it's not doing that for you perhaps you should report it as a bug.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. Publisher automatically updates the linked files for me. If it's not doing that for you perhaps you should report it as a bug. 

Tonight I will create a new test file and try it again ... yesterday I had also various PDF export problems that have not occurred today :35_thinking:
the update to the current beta unfortunately also made problems (setup error - installation only worked after a reboot)

3 minutes ago, honiglachs said:

setup error - installation only worked after a reboot

If you're on Windows that is often a system problem, not an application problem, and can affect the installation of any program.

-- Walt
PC:

I did choose embed which is one thing I forgot. But I like the idea because sometimes when sharing projects, I have noticed my customers complain about the "linking" files either not showing or fuzzy when using InDesign. So, I do like this option. 

Also, I know with InDesign, when you change preferences, you need to close out of the program so and reopen so it's reset to your new settings. Could this be the same thing in Publisher?

1 hour ago, Jessi said:

Also, I know with InDesign, when you change preferences, you need to close out of the program so and reopen so it's reset to your new settings. Could this be the same thing in Publisher?

No. The changes take effect immediately, with the exception of changing the UI language and maybe one or two others.

If you want to be notified of changes, or optionally have them automatically reflected in your document, you will need to Link rather than Embedding the files.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, Jessi said:

I did choose embed which is one thing I forgot. But I like the idea because sometimes when sharing projects, I have noticed my customers complain about the "linking" files either not showing or fuzzy when using InDesign. So, I do like this option. 

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you want to be notified of changes, or optionally have them automatically reflected in your document, you will need to Link rather than Embedding the files.

Considering the discussion on "true" linking of files which does not also embed a copy in the document, I would like to submit this as an indication that the current behavior is also desirable in some situations.  Thus I think there should in the end be three options: "Embedded" (current behavior), "Tracked" (current behavior of "Linked" option), and "Linked" (a copy is not embedded in the document).

5 hours ago, honiglachs said:

Tonight I will create a new test file and try it again ...

Unfortunately, I still have not solved the problem - an .afphoto file placed in a .afpub does not update itself (after a revision in Affinity Photo) - no matter what I try; the only chance: manually through the resource manager. If you change the .afphoto by double clicking DIRECT in the .afpub (eg the layer order) then the content is updated in the publisher document, but the change is not available in the .afphoto file. * mysterious * ;-)

1 hour ago, honiglachs said:

mysterious

Not really.

The Affinity documents are always embedded, never linked, as far as I can tell.

When you edit the original .afphoto file you are editing the original file, not the one that is embedded (copied) into the .afpub.

When you double-click the layer you are editing the copy that was embedded, not the original file.

I believe the non-updating for linked .afphoto, .afdesign, and .afpub files is a known problem.

-- Walt
PC:

So, maybe making the option to save/edit the photo file/publisher file so they are one if that is your preference, should be an option to the user? If this is even something that is doable? Not a developer, lol

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe the non-updating for linked .afphoto, .afdesign, and .afpub files is a known problem.

Thanks a lot - I read through various threads there last night - the theme "linking" does not work (yet) in .afpub, as I'm used to from Indesign. The next problem is already when you update the pictures -> only individually possible (pic by pic), due to the "fake" linking, the .afpub file requires a lot of space, warns the publisher me, if I for example export a print PDF and the "linked images" are not yet updated ...?!   ... Let's see what the future brings :D

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, bill.bane said:

I have version 1.17.1.404, and "linking" still does not appear to work. Maybe I am missing something.

Linking comprises two functions:

1. Removing the data content from the .afpub file; and
  2. Notifying Publisher when the linked file is changed externally, so Publisher can either update it automatically or notify the user of the external change so the user can update it manually.

Both functions have been implemented for linked image files (JPG, PNG, TIF).

Only function 2 has been implemented for linked document files (.afphoto, .afdesign, .afpub, PDF, PSD, SVG, etc.).

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 years later...

I am looking for "menu document" "document setup" and just plain "document" but I am not finding the resource manager or links manager anywhere. And searching using "help" brings up nothing. Where am I supposed to look for this? I am using Designer

8 minutes ago, SStohelit said:

I am looking for "menu document" "document setup" and just plain "document" but I am not finding the resource manager or links manager anywhere. And searching using "help" brings up nothing. Where am I supposed to look for this? I am using Designer

I'm not sure what you mean by "links manager", but if you're referring to Hyperlinks, they are a a function of Publisher and cannot be created or edited in Designer.

Resource Manager should be in the Window menu in V2, or in the View menu (V1) if I remember correctly.

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, SStohelit said:

In Designer, V1 or V2, Document Setup can be found via menu “File → Document Setup…”, or deselecting all layers and pressing the “Document Setup…” button on the Context Toolbar when the Move Tool is active.
If you type document setup into the Help search box and press enter, the first or second link is for Document Setup and the page which that link sends you to tells you this.

In Designer V1, the Resource Manager can be found via menu “View → Resource Manager...”
In Designer V2, the Resource Manager can be found via menu “Window → Resource Manager…”
If you type resource manager into the Help search box and press enter, the first link is for Resource Manager and the page which that link sends you to tells you this.