You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print dialogue mystification

The print dialogue continues to mystify me. There's lots of great stuff to change but I only understand a part of it. Is there anywhere that describes what each option does?

Thanks.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hi dmstraker :)

18 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

Is there anywhere that describes what each option does?

Unfortunately our help file page only covers the basics of the print dialogue. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to provide my best answer, and I'm sure other members of the community can weigh in also!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks, Dan.

Three questions:

1. Rasterization - What is Clip Transparency?
  2. Colour Management/Colour Handling - how is 'Performed by App' different to 'Performed by Printer' - does this control ICC file used, for example?
  3. Colour Management/Rendering Intent - what is the effect of the four options?

My setup is:

• Epson P600 with Marrutt inks and paper
  • Calibration to ICC files with Datacolor SpyderELITE (monitor) and SpyderPRINT (printer)

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

• Staff
17 hours ago, dmstraker said:

Rasterization - What is Clip Transparency?

There's been deliberation over this in the office here, as far as we're aware, it works as follows;

Clip Transparency prints transparent areas by sending out bitmaps line by line and feeding only solid image data to the printer, ignoring any blank regions—rather like a scanning process.

I have however emailed a dev requesting clarification, so I'll update this thread as and when I can :) 

Colour Management/Colour Handling - how is 'Performed by App' different to 'Performed by Printer' - does this control ICC file used, for example?

Performed by App will use your document settings or print dialogue settings to control your colour profile etc, if you set this to Performed by Printer then your Printer can control your colour profile (and other settings) through it's extended properties.

Colour Management/Rendering Intent - what is the effect of the four options?

This are industry standard options, I recommend reading more at the following site regarding this - https://www.colourphil.co.uk/rendering_intents.shtml

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dan C said:

There's been deliberation over this in the office here, as far as we're aware, it works as follows;

Clip Transparency prints transparent areas by sending out bitmaps line by line and feeding only solid image data to the printer, ignoring any blank regions—rather like a scanning process.

I have however emailed a dev requesting clarification, so I'll update this thread as and when I can :) 

I was wrong, apologies! Please see the below reply from one of our devs :)

Often flattening for transparency can produce rendering artefacts arising from, for example, colour profile conversion or numerical imprecision.

When the ‘Clip Transparency ‘ option is enabled a vector clipping path for any transparent object is created which excludes all wholly transparency pixels. This path is used when the object is rendered.

This can prevent large blocks of colour shift that can arise with areas of transparency when the transparent object is blended.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

On 3/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, dmstraker said:

Colour Management/Colour Handling - how is 'Performed by App' different to 'Performed by Printer' - does this control ICC file used, for example?

Performed by App will use your document settings or print dialogue settings to control your colour profile etc, if you set this to Performed by Printer then your Printer can control your colour profile (and other settings) through it's extended properties.

Thanks a lot Dan, this is all helping! Just a clarification on the above, is this true:

1. Performed by App: Uses the .ICC file I supply (as set up with my SpyderPRINT) , and not 2.
  2. Performend by Printer: Uses the settings when I follow Properties to the Epson dialog, and not 1.

Dave Straker

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed reply. That's correct, the options certainly should work in the manner you've described!

Please note -

Many thanks!