You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Laggy usage / slowdowns / high CPU-usage

Hello,

i am using the latest Affinity Photo-Version to work on my RAW files (Nikon Z6).
Unfortunately, Affinity does not run well on my machine, there are two problems:

1. Loading RAW-Files takes quite a long time. The first 2-5 photos are loaded quite fast (a few seconds), but the the loading time gets longer with every photo loaded. After the 10. photo, the software taktes about 15-30 seconds to load the next picture. There is nearly no cpu-load during this task and plenty of RAM free.

2. When using Affinity and e.g. changing lights/shadow-rulers or dragging the sliders for e.g. the sharpen-function, the software becomes unresponsive sometimes. When this happens, there is a 100% cpu usage and you have to wait for about 5-10 seconds, until the software becomes usable again and the cpu-load drops.

My machine-specs:

- Intel Core i9 7900X
- 32GB DDR4-3200
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- Windows 10 x64 Build 1809
- all pictures are loaded from a Samsung NVME-SSD (970 Evo); operating system is running on a different NVME-SSD (Western Digital Black)
- latest drivers for chipset, graphics, sound, ...

I noticed that the software does not show the second problem on a second, but similiar system (i5-8600K, 16GB DDR4-2666, Nvidia GTX 1070, Windows 10 x64 1809).
Is there probably any problem with CPUs having a high core count?

I wanted to use my main machine because processing times are very much lower in comparison with the i5 machine.
During the times to unresponsiveness does not occur, the software is running very well.

I tried to reinstall Affinity, even reinstalled Windows, but there was no change. Setting the software to not use the GPU does not change anything, either.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and your help.

Regards

Hello @GabrielM,

thank you for your fast reply. I tried what you said and the assumption that the problem belongs to core handling intensifies.
I could make the following obervations:

1. Process Photo.exe set to use only one core: No freezes/lags, just (as expected) very slow processing because only one core is active. Interesting: The on-the-fly preview when e.g. dragging sliders is not working when using only one core. The changes become visible at once after you release the mouse-button, but not during moving the slider.

2. Process Photo.exe set to use 10 out of 20 cores. I assigned every second core (0, 2, 4, ...) so that the software could use 10 cores. I can not determine wether those 10 cores are all physical or if HyperThreading-cores are included. With this configuration there were no freezes as well, the software is running quite fast, good to use. There is a performance drop of about 10-20%.

This seems definitely connected to the core count of the system used. That also fits to my second system not showing those problems (6 cores without HyperThreading). Probably the software has got issues with HT, probably just with a high core count.

Now as there is some kind of workaround (still have to test if the fix persists, didn't test mass processing yesterday), the question is if it can be fixed by the developers? It is quite inconvenient to set the core-assignment every time you start the program as there is no possibility to save this setting without 3rd party software.

Thank you for your further assistance!

Edited by Lareneg

Yesterday i processed some mass data (focus stack with ~50 RAWs) using the same core selection (ticked every second core in the task manager). Unfortunately, the problem occured again. Probably, the core numbers in the task manager differ from start to start from the HyperThread-Point-of-View (don't think so, but not sure) or this was not the cause.

What can i do to resolve this problem? The software is not really useable this way... :(

• Staff

Can you please run a quick report on your normal workflow, with all the CPU cores enabled? Download LatecyMon: https://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Once installed, Start the monitor, process a few files where your computer slows down/freezes. Once finished, stop the monitor. Go to Edit > Copy report to clipboard, and paste the report in a Text file and attach it here. 

Hello Gabriel,

thank you for your answer.
I did as you advised me. You find the LatencyMon-Report attached.

I processed some raws in my normal workflow. The issue was present (some laggy sliders and stuff), not as bad as normal, but it was there.
It seems as if the Nvidia-driver is making some trouble there?

Driver-version is from 01/2019, there are machines with newer and older drivers running fine at my place...
Any ideas?

LatencyMon.txt

On 3/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, Lareneg said:

Hello Gabriel,

thank you for your answer.
I did as you advised me. You find the LatencyMon-Report attached.

I processed some raws in my normal workflow. The issue was present (some laggy sliders and stuff), not as bad as normal, but it was there.
It seems as if the Nvidia-driver is making some trouble there?

Driver-version is from 01/2019, there are machines with newer and older drivers running fine at my place...
Any ideas?

LatencyMon.txt

Thanks for your report. Would you be able to uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers, and see whether that makes a difference? I'm just trying to rule out some potential factors.

Hello Mark, 

thank you for your answer and your time. As this machine is also used for gaming, the graphics drivers are updated on a regular basis. 
As i suspected the driver to be a problem, i already did a clean uninstall by using DDU (Display Driver Uninstallier) and installiing the last recent driver on a clean basis.

What I determined on occasion as i am on holiday at the moment: The problem does also occur on my notebook and there is also a Nvidia-graphics-card involved. The laptop is running Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 on an Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Samsung S-ATA SSD and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Interestingly, the frequency of the problem occuring is faw lower than on my desktop machine. I processed approx. 40 RAWs until now and there was only one time where the sliders became somewhat laggy / little freeze.

If there is anything more i can do to help ruling things out, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I processed a couple of pictures this evening using the beta-version 1.7.0.284.
Until now, everything seems to be fine, but it is too early to draw a conclusion.

I will report back in a few days. Thank you very much for your effords anyway.
Can you tell me what exactly got fixed?