You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I really loved how Affinity Designer for the iPad is designed very intuitively for touch. But it would be much better if there would be better keyboard support like having more keyboard shortcuts or customizable keyboard shortcuts. Also having support for modifier keys like holding alt/opt for maintaining aspect ratio when resizing an image. Or holding space to drag an object or pan the screen.

Thanks!

Agreed. And if I could talk for all my classmate's concept artists, they would agree too. :)

Basically, I test now three apps for drawing, Procreate, ArtStudio and Affinity Designer (for iPad). But the reason why I still need to stick to Procreate and ArtStudio is drawing workflow. They are just faster.

What I need to do fast is:

- Selecting colour (eyedropper/colour picker) - On Procreate I can do it by a finger or holding CMD on a keyboard, Artstudio (copy of PS) have this shortcut too.

- Change the size of the brush

- Switch between eraser/brush/smudge

Adding shortcuts or even giving us an ability to edit them would be awesome because that would boost productivity.

Then I will happily switch to Designer. (Now, I don't have a use for it :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in using Designer for lettering comic books. So this means laying out the words and creating word balloons and balloon tails. The balloons are mostly created with the ellipse or rectangle tools and then you have to create the balloon tails. Yes, there is already the call out and rectangle ellipse but these aren’t the only balloons in comic lettering (not to mention that creating the parts individually makes them look more organic) there are though balloons and radio and machine balloons. My point is that lot of elements need to be merged with the “Add” function. It would be great to have a keyboard short cut for this function - without it, lettering in Designer is too slow. Custom Keyboard shortcuts would be huge for this and I’m sure other workflows as well.

I think what would be really great is to support for combined pencil usage and keyboard modifier keys. Like for example, if I hold down space on the keyboard and use the pencil on the screen, it will pan the viewport same as when you use a graphics tablet on the desktop in Illustrator. I hope I explained that clearly. :-D

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Keyboard support is coming in Affinity Designer 1.7.1 for iPad . See my post here 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...

After a year and AD's keyboard shortcuts on the iPad are still strangely limited.

Brush size? Trying to drag on a small target is imprecise and distracting. Trying to drag on studio toolbar to resize is worthless if you keep the tools hidden.

Also wish the following to have the ability to modify keyboard shortcuts: Close Window, Undo, Redo.

We use numeric keypads attached to a panel beside our iPads, remapping the commands.

For now, the two-finger tap to Undo works, but it's hard to three-finger tap to Redo when wearing a two-finger glove & holding an Apple Pencil (at least it is for us), so ability to modify the keyboard command would be greatly appreciated.