You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have an image taken at an exhibition and because of the spotlighting, there's a vignette around the artwork (I cropped most of it out but it's still noticeablein the corners). 

What is the best way to get an even white wall across the whole surface of the wall (while still keeping the shadow lines directly around the artwork for depth)? I tried with the clone brush, dodge brush and inpainting tool but without much succes. I also tried with an image of a blank wall without any lighting on it and tried blending it as a layer (only the wall) with the original image but it didn't look natural either. I know this should be a simple fix but just can't find the right method to do it.

4b.jpg

If you want it on a white background, you might as well just crop the image (losing the shadows), enlarge the canvas, add a white Fill Layer background and add your own shadows back to the image via the FX panel

wallshadow.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

If you want it on a white background, you might as well just crop the image (losing the shadows), enlarge the canvas, add a white Fill Layer background and add your own shadows back to the image via the FX panel

wallshadow.jpg

The background needs to be/look like the actual wall it hanged on. It thought about adding the shadows to make making the wall even across the surface easier (still didn't look great though) but it doesn't look natural with added shadows.

You rebel Jimmyjack lol!

Or you can select the image, ignore the shadow, the top right corner is a bit down from square, Invert the selection and add a brightness and Contrast Adjustment filter moving the brightness all the way to the right 100% the shadow will lighten a bit but will be in keeping with the brightness of the walls.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-04-at-17-46-27.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, Phily said:

The background needs to be/look like the actual wall it hanged on. 

Perhaps you could add a bit of texture to the wall/fill layer to make it a bit more wall-like. You will need to rasterize the fill layer first (to convert it to a pixel layer). You could try adding some Perlin noise then fade it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

There are several ways to do that, another one is just to use and play with the illumination settings (which BTW can also add texture to the wall if desired) ...

ausleuchtung.jpg.ea16e2e05bd5698f1cdc128743e54edb.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2