You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.5)

• Staff

Thank you so much to everyone looking at this beta and giving feedback - it's very much valued! :)

If you're having a problem seeing the new Appearance panel in the list then maybe try closing down the application, and then starting it up again with Ctrl held down. Choose the option on the reset dialog that appears just to 'Reset studio' and uncheck everything else and hopefully it will play nicely now? I don't know why some people see this issue and others don't but we obviously need to investigate it, sorry... :(

Sorry to everyone using older versions of the OS as it looks like there's a bug that's preventing the list from showing correctly - we'll get on that straight away...

Also, we'll sort out the light-ui bugs, sorry :(

Thanks again for all your help everyone! :D

Matt

• Staff
15 hours ago, Timber said:

Here's a zoomed in snapshot of the stepping I'm seeing...

Closeup.jpg

Thanks for this - it's actually a bug with the pressure line styles, so I'll try to look into it... You don't happen to have the file for this shape available do you that you could send me? The arrowheads force the problem to show up as you've chosen 'inside' arrowheads which shorten the curves and then the whole pressure profile gets applied to the shorter curve and it's that combination that is causing the 'step' that you can see... sorry... :( 

• Staff
16 hours ago, Gear maker said:

evtonic3, hold down the ctrl key when trying to grab and move the object by a point.  Then a second click will assign the rotate center.  See if that helps.

We're currently tweaking some of the logic here to make it a little clearer, incidentally... so the next beta might work a bit nicer :)

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Sorry to everyone using older versions of the OS as it looks like there's a bug that's preventing the list from showing correctly - we'll get on that straight away...

Hello @MattP i think the dev team should look at this carefully.
The fact that Affinity can run on very old machine (yet it is not the default choice nor even the recommended thing) is what makes the software really competitive.
All Rolls and Mercedes class of Design software out there can't do what Affinity does in term of portability.

As i said in a previous comment on another topic : Make it run smoothly on old config and even faster on recent config and you will conquer all who want to do colorful stuff and willing to deliver great stuff but don't have budget for subscription model and enough money to buy beast machines.

Blessings !

Edited by Uncle Mez

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 hour ago, MattP said:

We're currently tweaking some of the logic here to make it a little clearer, incidentally... so the next beta might work a bit nicer :)

Please @MattP schedule couple of 1h Webinar after 1.7 is released to demonstrate all this great stuffs in Class or Lesson mode it will help you to get fresh updates from users but also pertinent live questions you would never expect even from the forum.

Edited by Uncle Mez

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

7 minutes ago, bagmetv said:

Hi Matt.

Many thanks for great update!

I've spotted a bug when selecting number of curves/paths. Showing position and size of only one of them instead of all.

Screenshot is attached.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 4.56.53 PM.jpg

Sorry it's not a bug. Forgot to tune off "Transform objects separately" button (killer feature by the way, thanks).

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Choose the option on the reset dialog that appears just to 'Reset studio' and uncheck everything else and hopefully it will play nicely now?

Matt,  no luck for me.  Still no Appearance panel listed in the studio.  I did a reset studio twice and still don't see it in the list.  I assume it would be showing in the View>Studio list.  This is how it still looks.  Help.  Mike

1154306332_ScreenShot2019-03-05at8_35_22AM.png.3c0898e305a79420c8060e21292d5387.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant

Only potential prob I've found with the arrowheads is if you want to add a stroke, yes I know an arrowhead is a stroke, but say you have a spot colour job which includes a map with arrows and you want to add a stroke to the arrows to make them stand out a little, if you just duplicate the stroke in the appearance palate, change to a lighter colour, expand slightly and place behind, it looks a bit dodgy (see 1st test attachment) - a workaround would be to use layer effects, outline which gives the desired result (see 2nd test pdf viewed as separations in Acrobat) but it rasterises the arrow and changes it to cmyk - the solution would be to expand the arrowhead and add a stroke but it currently expands minus the arrowhead (see 3rd test).

I know this is the first implementation of this and serif will eventually perfect it, just thought I'd point it out - still blown away with this feature and having a basic functionality of applying spot colours to grayscale raster images also seen in test attachments.

it's also really great that multiplying an image setup as spots, overprints with the added ability of letting you view the overprint in designer, it works loads better than setting up as overprint ------ ACE------ 

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 15.24.07.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 15.25.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 15.31.56.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi, i found that you can save the Appearances as styles. The only thing though is that, when you apply this style to a new object, it forgets the details.

For instance, i've saved a style whereby i have two gradients, one from top to bottom and one from left to right (and use the 'Overlay' blend mode). When i now apply this new style to a new object, they're both from left to right. Of course you can change it with a few clicks but it would be nice if it worked flawlessly.

Here's the idea...

Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 20.21.33.png

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• Staff
3 hours ago, fde101 said:

It is there for me.

I’m stumped because it should really be there?! You definitely have downloaded the latest version? It’s not on auto update at present (until we’ve released a version of Publisher and Photo that will work with it) :)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I’m stumped because it should really be there?! You definitely have downloaded the latest version? It’s not on auto update at present (until we’ve released a version of Publisher and Photo that will work with it)

1058346068_ScreenShot2019-03-05at2_00_33PM.png.ad244b580f698aab0bb2a4759953a302.png 

Matt, 1.7.0.5 is the version and the list of panels I already attached in my last entry.  Mike

6 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Matt,  no luck for me.  Still no Appearance panel listed in the studio.  I did a reset studio twice and still don't see it in the list.  I assume it would be showing in the View>Studio list.  This is how it still looks.  Help.  Mike

1154306332_ScreenShot2019-03-05at8_35_22AM.png.3c0898e305a79420c8060e21292d5387.png

Why are your Show Left Studio and Show Right Studio greyed out? That is always available to me whether or not I have a document opened. Have removed all the studio panels from both sides?  

Get out of Separated mode.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Get out of Separated mode.

Bruce, you are right.  This panel only works in Separated Mode!  I never even considered that.  Matt, can you do something about this?

Thank you Bruce.

You are welcome @Gear maker but I think you mean Does not work in Separated Mode, that is what works for me here. One window with documents in Tabs and Studios 'fixed' to the edges.

4 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

This panel only works in Separated Mode! 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:09 PM, evtonic3 said:

I'm trying to do everything you're doing here to do the exact same thing and something a little off for me. I can't seem to grab the star by the corner point and make it snap to the hex. When I grab the corner of the star it wants to scale from that point.

I was tormented for a long time trying to repeat this tricky move with the help of the Node tool. And yet I did it) It turns out a new tool "Point Transform Tool" appeared. :)

Снимок экрана 2019-03-06 в 2.03.53.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.