You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.5)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

SPECIAL NOTE: The files created by this new version of Designer 1.7.0.5 will not be compatible with earlier version of Affinity (Designer, Photo or Publisher). You will need to wait for an update to Publisher or Photo 1.7 Beta for compatibility! Please do not use this version if you will be adversely affected by this temporary lack of cross-product compatibility!

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the beta of Affinity Designer 1.7 for macOS.

Designer 1.7 is a significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version. Files edited in this version will not be backwards-compatible with the shipping 1.6 version. As such, we would not recommend using this 1.7 version for critical or production work at this stage. It is inevitable that there were will be a number of issues with 1.7 but we hope these will be minor and aim to resolve any issues very quickly, so please use it and explore the new features, but also do keep in mind that you may find snags and we would appreciate your help with finding and reporting these to us.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

It’s also worth noting that we aren’t done yet - we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7.

With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this initial release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.

Many thanks,

Matt

Please refer to previous beta updates for a full list of all changes to date. This latest update includes many new tweaks and improvements, but also the following larger changes:

Arrowheads

Multiple lines and fills per-object (via the new Appearance panel)

Point Transform tool (currently available from the Node tool flyout on the main tools toolbar)

Node and Pen tool tweaks

Layers panel overhaul - multiple thumbnail preview sizes, optional checkerboard background and colour tags available from right-click context menu

Added new transform option to Move tool (‘Transform Objects Separately’) for multiple selections

New icons

Symmetry lock in the raster Paintbrush tool

Fix for Text-on-path text positioning issues

PDF import and export improvements

Thank you @MattP

I've just done a quick test on the new features.

It is really nce to have the Affinity logo as an arrowhead :D

Multiple fill and stroke is nice too! It will improve my productivity a lot!

Didn't understand quite well the point transform tool, but it seems that it let you expand or contract the object/lines from a specific point... Am i correct?

One thing that is still happening and that i've reported that is common to all those 3 apps is that if you have for instance character panel "undocked" you can't scroll through the studio with mouse wheel, not a big problem.

Let's put this on intense testing which for me is using it in production work :)

PS: Just noticed that when you search for a font, the name will be overwritten.

screen.png

• Staff
7 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Didn't understand quite well the point transform tool, but it seems that it let you expand or contract the object/lines from a specific point... Am i correct?

Yes, that's it - but also to use with snapping turned on and to translate objects snapped onto their curve geometry and rotate/scale to snap along useful axes.

Ben made me a quick video a while ago that shows what I mean...

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Yes, that's it - but also to use with snapping turned on and to translate objects snapped onto their curve geometry and rotate/scale to snap along useful axes.

We're getting them polished up features now!! Love it!

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Where is the new Appearance Panel?  I don't see it in the view studio list or any menus.

The arrowheads are great.  Easy to use.

Point transform I think is going to be very handy.

I think the color layers will be very handy to mark layers that have a special meaning/purpose.  Color is easy to see.

Love the upgrades!  Thank you for all the hard work.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Great to see new features implemented~! A couple of notes:

1. It would be nice to make the 'reverse direction button' of arrow ends a bit more visible... it's so grayed out on my screen I guessed at what it was... couldn't really see the icon.

2. I don't recall seeing the OS requirements for 1.7 but I've been testing it in Mavericks and up... the Appearance Studio - multiple stroke and fills, seems to not work at all using Mavericks. One of the nice things about Affinity programs so far.. is that they have been usable in older OS's. Is this a change, or a bug?

3. In some quick playing with arrowheads, I get some stepping using arrowheads/ends at 500% size and using a pressure mapping of the line (bringing both the start and stop ends down but leaving the middle up). If I remove the arrowheads/ends this stepping goes away. Bug?

No Arrows.jpg

Arrow.jpg

1.7 is getting some serious updates. That Appearance panel is going to come very handy.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

56 minutes ago, hawk said:

The appearance panel doesn't work for me either. (Mavericks)

I'm on Sierra but I can't even find the Appearance Panel.  How did you get to it in the first place?  Help doesn't help.  I think it would be very handy.

644750564_ScreenShot2019-03-04at12_08_59PM.png.6967208008b3b9109ca797327601fdb0.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

5 hours ago, MattP said:

I'm trying to do everything you're doing here to do the exact same thing and something a little off for me. I can't seem to grab the star by the corner point and make it snap to the hex. When I grab the corner of the star it wants to scale from that point.

4 hours ago, Tatyana said:

I found out there is a mismatch in the size of the panel in the stroke and the panel of the appearance

1 hour ago, Timber said:

In some quick playing with arrowheads, I get some stepping using arrowheads/ends at 500% size and using a pressure mapping of the line (bringing both the start and stop ends down but leaving the middle up). If I remove the arrowheads/ends this stepping goes away. Bug?

Shouldn't these be in separate threads?

Hello @MattP
Hello Everyone !

1st thanks for this so waited update (as @A_B_C said upgrade) :D and the install went smooth no issue at all.
Well maybe my internet but i found the link a bit slow than before but much better than the day of 1.7.0.111 of APhoto, consider to investigate the link for coming release please.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Arrowheads

Life changing, i confirm it is okay and it surely the killing improvement if you team it with the new Appearance Studio which i believe is still on development and will be improved in coming releases.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Node and Pen tool tweaks

Well i still need to check deeper but i've found the new icons really appealing and the snapping is even better but also the tools seems to be more fluid (maybe me over looking this)

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Thanks a lot for the video, it gives cool ideas on how to better the creativity flow.

Now comes the few i've noticed, to me it is just a left over but can help if updated.
Blending mode from the appearance studio is not organized like you did with the same option on the layer tab.
look at attached screenshot to see.

Will come back if find something that needs attention.

Blessings !

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 10.02.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 10.01.44 PM.png

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

3 hours ago, Gear maker said:

evtonic3, hold down the ctrl key when trying to grab and move the object by a point.  Then a second click will assign the rotate center.  See if that helps.

I'm guessing this new feature is not yet ready to do a step and repeat. I tried everything to try to engage this using this new rotate center marker and I just couldn't get it to work. I hope they add this functionality.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Is that a preview of the new UI icons? If so, I love them, as well as the subtle background gradient of the panel bottom … :)

Panel.png.c69ad63960b45332f66fa4e6500d748c.png

+1 this icon type is more refined and i don't if it is me but i feel genius and less dump when i click on one of them :D
I'm 100% supporting this iconset upgrade it give a Pro touch to the software.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

15 hours ago, MattP said:

Arrowheads

Nice... just a thought but it might sometimes be helpful to be able to position dots at any intermediate nodes along the path of the stroke (as if they were "connectors").

Point Transform tool (currently available from the Node tool flyout on the main tools toolbar)

Maybe because I had already customized my tools to add the all-important cat tool, but I had to customize again to add this in... not a big deal, and I do like the tool.

I'm sure I can come up with some wild and quite probably insane use cases for this one...  :71_smiling_imp:

EDIT: The appearance panel doesn't seem to work with artistic text.  Sad.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.