You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CJK TrueType font

Please support CJK TrueType font for the Text Tool. Currently, when I type some east Asian text and choose a TrueType CJK font, nothing is displayed.

The functionality and usability of Affinity Designer is so much better than other softwares including Adobe's. If CJK fonts are fully supported, the app will no doubt gain great market share in the region.

Currently we aim to draw the character you specify in the font you specify. The thing we don't do is automatically switch to a different font if the character isn't supported. For example, if I use U+3410 with Adobe Fangsong Std, it looks correct to me, and if I use Adobe Garamond Pro it becomes a box. So we do support CJK text; you just have to select the right font yourself.

Currently we aim to draw the character you specify in the font you specify. The thing we don't do is automatically switch to a different font if the character isn't supported. For example, if I use U+3410 with Adobe Fangsong Std, it looks correct to me, and if I use Adobe Garamond Pro it becomes a box. So we do support CJK text; you just have to select the right font yourself.

Yes I know the behavior of the app. It works as you said if the font is OpenType, but shows nothing if it is TrueType font.

I guess the problem might be caused by the 'cmap' of the TrueType font, but not sure.

FYI: Japanese text is displayed normally if I choose Osaka (the TrueType font made by Apple). Other TrueType fonts do not work in Affinity Designer (yet I can use those fonts in other applications without any problem).

Can you give me an example of a TrueType font that doesn't work in Affnity Designer? Ideally one that comes with OS X or is freely available. You say Osaka works, so it's probably not a generic problem with TrueType.

I could not find any free font which can reproduce the problem on the web.

I have some fonts, but they are commercial product that I can't upload here.

Is there any way I can send mine personally to you?