You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to handle star effect brushes

Hi there,

when searching for a star effect brush I found this thread:

I downloaded and installed the brushes from deviantart.com.

Unfortunately I'm not able to use them properly. What I get is what is visible in the screenshot: The star that is visible in my image (the upper one, the lower one is the sun in the original image) is not as beautiful as in the preview. I tried all sliders but didn't get a proper result. Any hints are welcome.

Best regards - Ulrich

starbrush.thumb.jpg.b0f9fd7a4ffd9999a8854c3db2dc95f2.jpg

Hi,

If its a Photoshop brush there maybe some effect added that doesn't translate into Affinity. You can easily make your own with the shape tool and using the Star shape, set the amount of points you want, i set the inner radius to 5%, outer circle 0%, inner circle 5%, then added Outer glow from the fx settings, increased the radius and then exported the star as a transparent png, go to the brush settings and add new image brush.

Hi Ulrich,

Most Photoshop brushes work fine, it just depends on what extra effects they have added to create it and Affinity doesn't have all the same settings. If you are interested here is the afbrush file i exported, i created it in Affinity Photo but can be used in Affinity Designer in the Pixel persona.

Star burst.afbrushes

I have that same brush set and it works perfectly

You should not need to change any of those slider settings (just the brush size)

If you upload that APhoto project file I can test my brushes in that document to try to see what the issue is

skystar.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi carl123, no need to download, it was a handling error indeed: In the toolbar at the left I had choosen "Pixel Tool". I changed this to "Paintbrush" and now the brush is fine, exactly identical to the preview. Many thanks for your hint, it saved my day!

Cool, glad you sorted it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.