You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sketch style layout in Affinity?

Any way to get a layout that is similar to Sketch, where the main objects are listed on the left and the fills/fx on the right? I switched long ago from photoshop to sketch, and I'm finding the panel layout to be a bit of a hard adjustment in Affinity back to a Photoshop style layout. I'd much rather see the primary layer I'm working with on the left and the effects of the group on the right in a 'single' type view as it's easier to focus on the task at hand than digging through lots of folders. If Affinity was capable of this kind of layout setup I think it would be much faster to work with and switch between sketch and Affinity back and forth without any cognitive dissonance.  I understand that it's a big request and a tall order given that Affinity surely wants to sell their Affinity Designer app rather than cater to Sketch users, but the Inspector style workflow in Sketch is much easier on the brain imo. 

Anyone else feel the same? 

You can drag and customise the studio however you like, so just drag the panels to suit you. If you want to move a group of panels click and hold on the || in the corner of the group of panels and drag to where you want, if you want to move a single panel click and hold on the panels tab name and drag. As you drag there will be translucent blue highlighters that help you with placement. While ever you are holding the mouse down you can move the panel or group of panels until you understand the highlighter. If you lose a panel you can get it back by going to View > Studio and selecting the panel you want to bring back.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks, but, I had got that already. I suppose what is need to achieve a more harmonious switch back and forth between the two apps is the ability in Affinity photo to do something like 'Show Nested Folder Groups Panel'.  The primary layers are on the left, and the sub-layers for the currently selected layer are shown on the right in the inspector. I believe this isn't possible in Affinity using Panels. 

Hmm, on second look maybe I'm just not yet used to it and will try to give it a go and see what I'm getting lost so easily. 

I think it's because Sketch is more contextual. It shows you the relevant panels based on the object you have selected. In other words, the 'studio' elements are relevant to the object you have selected. If you have a text object selected, you see the text tools. If you have a fill selected, you see Fill Layers with colors etc. 

Edited by jdh1178

Got you now, yes sketch responds to the tool and presents relevant settings and options, which is a cool feature of sketch.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The only way its relevant is the use of the context bar just above the workspace, so instead of a panel the appropriate options are displayed along the top depending on which tool you are using. You cannot change the location of the context bar nor can you change it to a panel.