You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.251 - Adjusting Complicated Gradients in Layer Effects Crash

Hi,

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.251 Win10 64-bit, version 1809.

I have been playing with Layer Effects gradients in "Outline" and "Gradient Overlay" adding multiple colours.  I have also added "Inner Shadow" and "Bevel/Emboss" with involved contour profiles, and blend profiles.  There are multiple vector objects in the scene with these Layer Effects applied to them.  Often when I add effects I can hear the fans of either my CPU or video card ramp up (sorry, I cannot tell which fans they are.) 

I am running an Intel i7-8700 with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1080 Ti with a BenQ 4K primary display and a Dell Canvas 27" 2560 x 1440 display.  Nothing is overclocked.

The crash happens often, but not consistently, so it is hard to reproduce the same way each time.  Usually happens when I am adjusting the gradients on an Layer Effect.  I will continue to play with it and see if I can provide more detail.  In the meantime, I thought you should be aware of it in case others are having the same problem.

Update:

I took the time to transfer the Layer Effects over to AD 1.6.5.123  I had to do this by hand since the styles are not backwards compatible.  I had the same crash so I filled out the automated crash report.  Seems like it can happen when adding colors to the gradient or adjusting the mid points between multiple colors.

I hope Serif has enough information to get this fixed.  (That, and the ability to add color gradients to the palette from "Outline" and "Gradient Overlay" in Layer Effects :))

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Dave,

I've tried this myself and have been unable to reproduce the issue. Would you be able to attach a copy of your file you were modifying (either the 1.6 or the 1.7 format) and a video that demonstrates the crash? Even if you have to record for a little while before you get the crash!.

Also could you check the following folder and attach any of the crash dumps from around the time it would have crashed?

%AppData%/Affinity/Designer/1.0 (Beta)/CrashReports/reports

Thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.