You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

master pages title and space between paragraphs

Hello,

I'm not sure if this can be done or is not implemented yet but it would be nice if the regular pages had a permanent A or B or C on each so you could see which master page they were tied to without having to hover your mouse over each page. Also, as you can see from the image I posted for some reason it is putting a space between each paragraph. I'm sure it is an easy fix I am just not smart enough to know where, or how to fix it.

screen shot of publisher.JPG

That spacing would be setup in whatever Paragraph Style you're using, I think. But you didn't include enough of the screen to see what that might be, and you don't have the Text Frame selected, which would show it on the Context Menubar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

hello,

I went back and took a full screen shot and even with the text box selected it still does not show what master page is selected for which page unless you hover your mouse over the top of it. I searched through all the paragraph styles and did not see anywhere to remove the space between paragraphs. Sometimes I guess I need things explained to me like I am a 6 year old.

affinity publisher screen shot 2.JPG

No, there's no way to tell what Master is applied other than hovering over a page.

For the paragraph spacing: Your Text Frame shows a Paragraph Style of Drop Cap. To see what spacing that requests you would look in the Paragraph panel (to the right of the Character panel in the right studio) where you'll find the space before paragraph and space after paragraph settings:
image.png.8e41aea562d61ccaf792e1755052c1a6.png

Or, you can find that style listed in the Text Styles panel and double-click on it to open up an editing panel with the full details.

By the way, your Text Frame is not large enough for all the text you've placed in it. That's indicated by the red "eye' icon. If you shift-click on that icon Publisher will flow the text that doesn't fit into additional frames on added pages, using the same Master page(s) as the current page you're working on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, Wickedly clever fantasy said:

My main goal though with this screenshot was only to learn how to remove the space...

I would use the Text Styles panel and edit the two (or more) styles to be certain that there is no space before or after paragraphs set.

1295519197_paraspc.jpeg.a421d1bb5acd9f7496ffd25d1891c3bb.jpeg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 hours ago, Wickedly clever fantasy said:

Hello,

I'm not sure if this can be done or is not implemented yet but it would be nice if the regular pages had a permanent A or B or C on each so you could see which master page they were tied to without having to hover your mouse over each page. Also, as you can see from the image I posted for some reason it is putting a space between each paragraph. I'm sure it is an easy fix I am just not smart enough to know where, or how to fix it.

As a temporary work-around, you could put a 10~15% gray letter watermark on your master pages to show which ones have been applied. The watermark is easily removed for printing when you have finished the job. The example below includes the page number field, but you don't need that.

1485940297_MasterWatermarks.thumb.PNG.6ef0d3298b91e97ff753c1b39c61bf06.PNG

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, there's no way to tell what Master is applied other than hovering over a page...

It would be a nice option, to me, for not displaying a thumbnail image of the page and only show the master page(s) applied. In ID, I shut them off (especially in a catalog or otherwise memory intensive document) and in Q there are no page thumbnails in the Page palette (though there are in another place which I don't use).

You can also make a Character Style in whatever colour or shade of grey you want to work with and then change the character style colour to white or "none" when you are finished.
"None" might be safest with some print processes, deleting it off the master pages would be safer still. Then there is no extraneous (unused) code hanging around.

These symbols are handy for applying a quick change in one character, to all other characters that have the same style applied.

1498894015_UpdateCharacterrsymbol.png.8ded2a724f999863fad3d56cf2ed1a2a.png