You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 251 - layer text size too small

The text size on the layers has got smaller -- not good for those of us with a degree of visual impairment.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I noticed this and logged it with the developers last week (as I got it a bit early :P ). I'll go and bump it for you. Thanks Dave.  

The change was intentional, to make it the same as the macOS version. It was an oversight from the original release that the Layers panel looks different (we also had slightly different size icons, and different spacing - these are now all the same).

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

The change was intentional, to make it the same as the macOS version. It was an oversight from the original release that the Layers panel looks different (we also had slightly different size icons, and different spacing - these are now all the same).

The issue with this is the text is very unclear unless you're running a retina or 4k monitor. I've just checked on a non retina Mac and the text is much sharper than on 3 different 1080p Dell panels.

Dave has already said that he's struggling to see it with a degree of visual impairment.

A note on this:

• There are some things you don't look at often or pretty quickly get to know as the text doesn't change much, so seeing exactly what is said is less critical.
  • Places where text content may vary require additional cognitive effort to read. Font shape, contrast and and size become more significant here.
  • Font size in the layer panel now varies - when it does this it requires additional 'refocusing' effort.
  • AP is a layered model, which means the user often looks at the layer panel, making clarity here more important.

Thanks!

Edit: I was recording a YouTube InAffinity video today. I've been using the latest beta so far to give videos a better 'future-proofing'. Most text is readable on phones when I zoom in a tad (but also need to keep other stuff visible). The layer text on 251 now is so unreadable I've had to switch back to 1.6.

... Well, actually I can't as the demo was created in 1.7 and the file version is not backwards compatible.

When is the next revision coming out and will this be fixed? (sorry, trying to help you good folks and feeling a tad frustrated)

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

I agree, the layers text is way too small and everything looks SO cramped over there. I would love to have the same looks as is in the official release.

If the developers wants to have the same look across platform, then make OSX to look the same as in Windows and not vice versa.

20 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thank you, Mark. You're a hero! Serif seems to be one of the few software companies that seriously listens to its customers.

Dave Straker

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.