You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Center a shape between two other shapes

I wish I had an easy way to show/demonstrate.  I don't think I described what I'm trying to do.  The circle is not gonna fill the gap, I want it to offset evenly between both rectangles.  I'll try to take a screen capture.

Imagine both rectangles are horizontal and I want a buffer of space to be between the rectangles and the circle.  I don't want the circle to clip to the rectangle.  The circle is already created, I just want AD to automatically position the circle midway between the two rectangles.

post-3718-0-98540700-1428972756_thumb.png

A green vertical line will appear to align it in the middle, but as I drag up or down along that green guide line, I don't see anything to suggest a midway point between the tangent of the circle and the two rectangles.  (Mind you this is only an example, my actual objects are much less simple)

So I found out if you select the three layers/objects, the narrower one will be the one that moves when you right click and select "Align Center" from the alignment menu.  Likewise, tinier one will move when "Align Middle" is selected.

This doesn't necessarily solve if the shape you want to move is bigger, though.  I didn't check, but perhaps locking the two layers we don't want to move would help this.

Still, there aren't any guide/snapping lines that appear, which was what I was looking for, for workflow and productivity.