You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I recently switched from Adobe Illustrator to AD and so far loving it.
However, I need to export a design/file with gradient letters for printing, vector quality.

Thing is that if I export it with gradient, the result gets blurry and no longer vector.
If I do not use gradient all goes well and its vector sharp.

I suppose as a newby to AD I have some settings for export wrong.
What can I do to export to pdf for professional print and keep the gradient and keep the vector quality please?

Thanks,
Annie

I believe that your use of the Layer Effects is causing Designer to rasterize your vectors. I don't know if there are any alternatives. Sorry.

Perhaps someone else will have some ideas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your reply.

I am searching this forum and internet to find a solution, but so far no real solution.
Found this topic though: 

and the poster seems to have the same issue. Topic is from 2016 so maybe no longer valid?

• Staff

Hi LogoLogics,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As walt.farrel pointed out all layer effects are rasterised on export. You have to re-create those effects with gradients whenever possible (use the Fill Tool for this, click and drag over the text objects to apply a gradient) to have them exported as vectors and for cases where you still have to use layer effects increase the DPI value in Document setup (menu File ▸ Document Setup) to (usually) 300.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your help.

The DPI is already set to 300 DPI.
I'll try recreating the gradient with the fill tool.

Thing is, we still have Adobe Illustrator and creating gradient text and saving it to PDF does not cause it to get unsharp.
I really want to start working with AD from now on, so need to get used to differences and workarounds that seem to be necessary ( unless ofcourse I need to learn more about AD )

In 2016 this seemed to be concidered a bug that would get fixed?

03.04.2019-13.27.14

On the other hand, this design is only intended for a small sticker 40mmx40mm, so I might not need a pdf but maybe a 300 dpi jpg for printing?
For logo's I normally avoid gradients all together, but this is just a sticker.

Thanks,
Annie

for one or two pages good workaround, for 87 pages having most likely everywhere such gradients in place, it is a little nightmare and most likely starting from scratch ;-)  

will serif fix it, at least in publisher (what shouöd be the treated as AI alternative) ?

kr gludie