You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm zoomed into an object, trying to outline it w/the magnetic lasso and having problems.

1) How do I scroll the page in order to advance my edge selection around the object w/o deselecting what I've done or having the mag. lasso dutifully create a path out to the scroll bars and back? 

2) Is there any sensitivity setting for the mag. lasso's edge detection? Not infrequently, it selects the wrong edge no matter how carefully I try to trace the edge.

3) When the lasso does a bad job of finding the correct edge, how does one sequentially delete mistaken anchor points, to back-up one or more anchor points, and give it another chance to find the correct edge?

I originally tried to use the Flood Select tool but I just couldn't adjust it to confine itself the area outside the object w/o picking up all sorts of random areas inside the object.

1289341996_HerbertBayerWorldGeo-GraphicAtlas_CA1955.thumb.jpg.a84b89e2571e6b16865f2139e13bd1dd.jpg

Thanks,

lettergothic

Where did you find a lasso selection tool in Publisher?

I'd believe it in the Photo Persona of Photo, or the Pixel Persona of Designer, but I don't see one in Publisher.

However: Look in the status bar at the bottom of the window for modifier keys you can press to add to or subtract from a selection. Or, while selecting, you may be able to press the space bar to enable panning of your image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, lettergothic said:

Thanks, Walt. I neglected to mention that it was an Af Photo question. I guess that I assumed that people would be outlining photographs in Photo. 

lettergothc

But you posted in Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Publisher Beta on Desktop :)

If you're asking about Photo you should post in either Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) if you're using the retail version, or in the OS-appropriate Affinity Photo Beta forum if you're using the beta release.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

But to answer your questions:
1. Press the spacebar, and you will get the View Tool (Hand), and can pan the image.

2. With the magnetic option set, you can click on an edge, then then release the button, and move the mouse slowly over the edge to let the lasso drop its own points. Or you can click and drag to draw your own edge to whatever accuracy you want. I'm not aware of any way to fine-tune the sensitivity.

3. You can use Ctrl+Z (Edit > Undo) to backup to (I think) the last time you clicked.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Bynah said:

can you please tell me where to find the lasso tool?

Depends on which Affinity application you're using. As mentioned above, the OP posted in the wrong forum (though the post seems to have since been moved to a different wrong forum) :)

The lasso (Freehand Selection Tool) is available in the Photo Persona of Affinity Photo, the Photo Persona of Affinity Publisher, and the Pixel Persona of Affinity Designer. In any of them, it may be visible on the Tools panel, or it may be hiding within one of the other pixel selection tools:

image.png.f0fd04dfca729b67b0df8453bc5eba27.png

-- Walt
PC: