You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Sorry if I appear a bit lame, and possibly posting the wrong forum, but I wanted to know if there was a way to filter the tutorials by software eg: only designer or publisher. Sometimes tutorials don't even mention which software they cover (most of the tutorials seems to be for APhoto, which I don't own). I can't find a way to filter by tags (even though most posts don't have the software as a tag, it could help). I find searching a bit tedious a a result, but there is search feature I may have missed? This is bizarre because other forums are separated by "Photo", "designer", "Publisher", and then separated by platform. As it stands, the tutorials sub-forum is a bit of a mess :)

Let this small puzzlement not distract from the fact that I am very grateful to those who publish tutorials ^_^

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher/Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom/Inkscape

• Staff

@4personnen

This is a far from lame question. There is no easy way at the moment.

I think I will help sort this out when we launch Affinity Publisher, either by insisting on tagging with the application or by having 3 sub forums in tutorials. The difficulty with forced tagging is that when that option is turned on for a forum, no other tags can be added than the ones you have to choose between. I like the free tagging we have at the moment. I will see what can be done. Thanks for the query.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks @Patrick Connor
I also like the free tagging option, because it helps with finding "topics" instead of software... Separate forums would be best IMHO.
Can't wait for Publisher to launch honestly, although I really do have some catching up to do with advanced features (I'm planning a cook-book :) )

I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

4 hours ago, 4personnen said:

This is bizarre because other forums are separated by "Photo", "designer", "Publisher", and then separated by platform.

It may seem at least a little less bizarre if you consider that there is quite a lot that applies to all the Affinity desktop apps. For some features, the only difference between the Windows & Mac versions are the keyboard shortcuts. All the apps offer the same Shapes & Pen tools; the same Transform, History, Snapshot, & a few other Studio panels; many of the same UI customization options; & so on.

Also, because Photo & Designer share a common native file format & documents created in either app can be edited in the other one without conversion, it is possible to open an afphoto file created in Photo in Designer & edit it, including editing live filters that can't be created in Designer. It even preserves the history if the "Save History With Document" feature is enabled. You can try this for yourself with this very simple Ripple.afphoto file -- you should have no problems opening it with Designer.

So this pretty much means that if all the forums were separate & users just followed or contributed to one or a few of them, they would be missing out on a lot of useful info.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R, I get that. However most of the tutorials I have been looking at that ended up being for APhoto had to do with retouching images, cut-out, applying filters and so on all of which I have either no use, or are no available in ADesigner. I was aware I could open a APhoto file in ADesigner (I have already done that while following tutorials) but my aim is predominantly about learning to use vector capabilities like I have learned Adobe illustrator at the time (including finding workarounds when the features are missing or require additional steps) and most of the times I end up discovering things that I don't even knew existed. So it's quite specific (I am yet to find a "filter" menu in ADesigner, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. That would be typical me :) )

I think concerning the fact that some tutorials would be missing an audience if affected in one sub-forum only, it would be major drawback, but I think tagging would be useful there. You can add lots of tags in a post, so why not adding any just like I did in this very post :). For example the image "ripples" comes from a post concerning a ripple effect in APhoto if I am not mistaken, which I have read in my quest, and I discovered that I wasn't able to use it in ADesigner. I would have been glad If I could have applied that effect to a vector design for example. In this post, no mention of the software whatsoever. I became aware of this after searching for a filter menu in Adesigner, which doesn't exist. No tags to guide the silly beginner that I am.

I guess I would be content reading the help files, but I really find them obscure and imprecise. I also prefer - by far - written content as opposite to videos. I'm a pain xD !

My question was merely one of usability of the forums, so it still stands (it doesn't hurt to add sub-forums although I am aware it could be hard work sorting them out...)

Thank you!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

2 hours ago, 4personnen said:

I think concerning the fact that some tutorials would be missing an audience if affected in one sub-forum only, it would be major drawback, but I think tagging would be useful there. You can add lots of tags in a post, so why not adding any just like I did in this very post :).

To be a bit picky about it, you did not add any tags to this topic. I think you might be referring to your signature, where you list your OS, some apps, & such. Is that right? It is always helpful to include that kind of info in a sig, but since it will appear in every post you make (& optionally can be hidden by people using the forums), it does not serve quite the same purpose as tags.

Only the OP can add tags to a topic. Since you started this one, you should see a small "+ Add Tag" button just below the title of this topic, but other users won't see it because it isn't their topic to tag. Like @Patrick Connor mentioned, currently we have free tagging -- you can add as many tags as you want & they can be anything. Since tags are optional & overly generic ones are not very useful, some users don't tag their topics at all. Sometimes, no tag is added because the topic itself is considered to be generic, or just because the OP can't think of any good ones. Not much anybody can do about that as long as we have free tagging.

One thing some users do that you probably would find helpful is to add a prefix to their topic titles, like [AD] or [Mac] so others can tell at a glance the platform or app the topic is about.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant I did not put on tags on this post :) sorry...

It makes sense for the topic, I will do from now on. Alongside tags, which I generally add, but not this time for some reason. Guilty!

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

2 minutes ago, 4personnen said:

I have just added some tags ...

FWIW, It might be better to change the "forum" tag to something less generic like "affinity forum tutorials" because some people use Google, Bing, or similar search engines to find content, sometimes with a "site: forum.affinity.serif.com" modifier to restrict the results to this site. That is because this site's built-in search engine is fairly dumb compared to their 'smart' search algorithms, which makes it more likely your topic will place near the top of those search results.

Affinity Photo 

It never occurred to me that I could bypass Affinity forums search function and use Google instead. Thanks for the tip. 

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

10 hours ago, 4personnen said:

For example the image "ripples" comes from a post concerning a ripple effect in APhoto if I am not mistaken,

I usually try to remember to add tags to my posts, especially in tutorials. Thanks for pointing out my omission. I have now added some!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, 4personnen said:

No worries, It was not an exercise in naming and shaming, I'm sorry it felt that way!

No problem. It is good if these things get pointed out.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630