You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My version of Publisher is 1.7.0.249

Have tried to get page numbering to work but after selecting TEXT and then INSERT, there is no PAGE NUMBER. Is it missing from my version or have I failed to do something.

Cheers

Rog

20 minutes ago, Abacab said:

My version of Publisher is 1.7.0.249

Have tried to get page numbering to work but after selecting TEXT and then INSERT, there is no PAGE NUMBER. Is it missing from my version or have I failed to do something.

Cheers

Rog

Try the Fields Studio, but also the menu list should be Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Abacab said:

Thanks for that. I do now see Page Numbering under Fields but it is greyed out.

Do you have a Text Frame selected, with the text insertion cursor within the frame?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Alex White said:

The last time I saw something like that greyed our it was because I neede to make the change on a master page. Could that be it?

I can insert page numbers directly into document pages that have Masters applied.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm (just about) managing to cope with numbering pages for a book, but after inserting the text into the frame on the master page, the page number appears absolutely enormous – to make it look sensible I have to reduce the font size to about 4pt. Am I doing something wrong?

I normally use InDesign, which doesn't have that problem.

54 minutes ago, Kuptin said:

I'm (just about) managing to cope with numbering pages for a book, but after inserting the text into the frame on the master page, the page number appears absolutely enormous – to make it look sensible I have to reduce the font size to about 4pt. Am I doing something wrong?

I normally use InDesign, which doesn't have that problem.

Sounds like you may have scaled the Text Frame using the lower-right, detached, handle rather than the corner handle. Doing that would also enlarge the text.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sounds like you may have scaled the Text Frame using the lower-right, detached, handle rather than the corner handle. Doing that would also enlarge the text.

I'd followed the instructions to the letter. But I did discover the problem – for some reason Drop Caps was checked! How on earth???

Thanks anyway for your help.

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, David Gerson said:

Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong here? 

Hi @David Gerson,

the red dots indicate text overflow of the text frame in which your page numbers are placed. Try to make the text frame wider (on the master page).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil