You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing on a (Cheap) colour printer does not give blacks

I have a very simple document (1 line of text) which is set in black as far as I can tell. I am printing using a canon MG3053 (very cheap printer) using canon original ink.

This is used to overprint a line of text onto pre-printed covers for a newsletter.

However when I tell it to print the document the text is coming out well not black (I am colourblind but it looks reddish).

Any ideas - the same document in Swift Publisher prints a solid black. Also I print envelopes with it from the OSX contacts app and they print in black correctly.

EATOC Cover sheet overprint.afpub

I see that you setup your file as CMYK, rather than RGB. Perhaps that's contributing to your issue?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

just switched it to RGB and the same issue..

Although it is a very cheap printer it has a black cartridge and a tricolour (CMY) cartridge.

Which from my point of view if something is printing in black it should tell the printer to use the black cart not mix the colour up.

12 minutes ago, Gilescooperuk said:

just switched it to RGB and the same issue..

Although it is a very cheap printer it has a black cartridge and a tricolour (CMY) cartridge.

Which from my point of view if something is printing in black it should tell the printer to use the black cart not mix the colour up.

Your printer (or printer driver) may have the capability of using CMY to create K, under certain circumstances. Many home printers will do that.

But I don't know why that would happen with Publisher and not with the other applications you tried.

I can say that it prints as black on my printer using your file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If there is no color in what is being printed, check to see if the driver has an option for printing in black/white instead of color and if it does try turning that on.  In some cases this might be disguised as a "color profile" depending on how the printer/driver was set up.

Different Canon printer but if their drivers are set up similarly this may be instructive:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/how-do-I-print-in-black-without-using-my-color-ink-on-my-pixma/td-p/67535

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.