You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I bought a graphic template a while ago, it's made in Adobe Illustrator CS5+ but it doesn't play nice with Affinity Designer because of a feature called Variable Width Strokes.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/atv/cs5-tutorials/using-variablewidth-strokes.html

Is there any way to recreate this effect in Affinity Designer?  Designer does open the .AI file and almost everything looks perfect but when you start scaling, horror happens.

I really don't want to install a trail version of Illustrator every 30 ~ 60 days only to edit this specific template file. 

CleanShot 2019-03-03 at 14.14.57.png

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Hi, Shmoo,

There is a similar function in Affinity. It is curve thickness pressure variability. See the attached for a simple example. The pressure graphs can also be formed while using a tablet & stylus. They can be saved as styles, and applied to any curve.

Don't know if the template can be sufficiently or accurately enough altered. 

PressureVariation.thumb.jpg.54a5084a3b624a43513b8c2e240c1465.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello,

I just tried to create my own strokes but the problem is when you open those documents in Designer, Designer converts all those Illustrator variable width lines (strokes) to 'curves'. Now they are all solid fills instead of strokes. When you turn off the fill and +1 stroke you'll get those 'outlines' effect.

CleanShot 2019-03-09 at 17.02.16.png

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• Staff

Hi Shmoo,
As you noticed we don't support variable width strokes from illustrator: they are all converted to curves (shapes) on import.  Affinity Designer does NOT (can't) convert/translate them to (our) pressure profiles so there's no way to do what you want other than create the artwork entirely in Affinity Designer if you want have pressure profiles applied to strokes.

Bummer.. ☹️ 

Hardware