You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inside fill opacity issue - (Affinity Designer 1.2)

Is anyone else having or noticed this issue?

Altering the slider (this resets itself when releasing cursor) or entering a number makes no change to the 100% 
but the opacity still seems to apply.

Hi, 
Creating an oval and drawing a rectangle shape within this oval using the 'Inside insert the selection' 
...Duplicating and grouping these rectangle I'm applying the opacity,
with either slider or inputting a number the 100% resets, but the actual opacity gets applied. 

Regards, 
euro

Hi, 

Creating an oval and drawing a rectangle shape within this oval using the 'Inside insert the selection' 

...Duplicating and grouping these rectangle I'm applying the opacity,

with either slider or inputting a number the 100% resets, but the actual opacity gets applied. 

Regards, 

euro

You are right. Doing this, the opacity slider will reset, if you select the group, and make change to the opacity.

• Staff

There's a reason for this, but it will probably change in the future...

It's nothing to do with Insert inside - it's just a thing to do with Groups. If you select a number of objects and make a group, you'll see that your group has a 'No fill' colour. 'No fill' currently cannot have a colour opacity. If you apply a colour opacity to the group, it actually sets the colour opacity onto each child as this is probably what you meant. The colour opacity of the group's 'No fill' is still 100%, so this is why it still shows you '100%' - because the item that is selected is the group and it is showing you the properties of the selection. If you wanted to set the group's layer opacity, you should use the Opacity slider on the layers panel - that will update as expected. If you had changed the group's fill to be something other than 'No fill' - i.e., just add a red colour when the group is selected, you can then change the colour opacity slider and it will update as expected.

You are only seeing a problem because a group has 'No fill' and that cannot, currently, have a colour opacity.

So, it's not what you would expect, but there's a reason for it. I think that if I allow 'No fill' to have a colour opacity then everything will work exactly as you expect because it will be allowed to readout the value that you're dragging on the slider. Remember that what you're actually doing though is setting the opacity of each of the children, not of the group itself. You'll notice the difference if you have objects that overlap...

Thanks,

Matt

It may not have anything to do with 'Insert inside' as I've found out when ungrouping the items
and noticing the 'opacity' reverted back to how I'd set it (and could see the % 
number shown)
previously when grouped (with coloured fill). 

...It seems to happen when inserting shape with 'Insert inside' grouping shapes,
then changing colour and reapplying opacity works. 

I've found that making a shape with one colour, ing or duplicating these shapes then grouping shapes, opacity applies but reverts back to 100% 
...changing said colour to grouped shapes and reapplying opacity work, without 
opacity reverting back to It's default 100%.

It's still an issue and I thought It was worth mentioning as no one else had brought it up? 

Regards,
Euro