You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm running AP version 1.67 and find the smudge tool works properly most of the time but does produce artifacts which cannot be blended out to a smooth transition.

The only solution, I have found, is to add more paint to cover the anomaly generated by the smudge brush. Your thoughts.

View screen capture. Even though in the screen capture the bottom layer is selected ,  actually the problem showed up as I worked the top pixel layer.  After the artifacts showed up on while I worked the top pixel layer, I then ran through the layer stack to see if any subsequent layer was impacting the top layer's performance  and that is when I took the screen capture with the bottom layer selected.  Again the smudge issue is with the top layer.

smudge-artifacts.thumb.jpg.dc04e2b93b3245fd195ee77f33f3f15a.jpg

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for your quick reply.  So yes, I was able to replicate the artifacts from the smudge tool in both AP versions.  1.67 & 1.7.0.111

To keep it simple  I created a white pixel layer and  painted several brush strokes adjacent to one another using the basic  round brushes for both version examples. Then using the smudge tool with the   round light/soft brushes, I blended the different tones attempting to achieve a nice gradation. In both versions I got the artifacting or unbendable edging. With the 1.7.0111  the blending was really not satisfactory with the brush settings around "50" flow & "50" strength. To compensate  I increased the strength to a higher value , which allowed to a forced blending but lost the necessary subtle approach that I usually look for.  See screen captures.

PS  For some unknown reason, this upload will not accept a screen capture  .png for an iMac ,, have to convert the file to a jpeg.

artifacts-1_67.thumb.jpg.77c949de4ce7ebd0c2e07b1b93b9edb6.jpg

1577448827_artifacts-AP1.7.0_111.thumb.jpg.00fa94e1026f79dfacba50cf8f013fb4.jpg

411122340_artifacts-AP1.7.0_111.thumb.jpg.9f8ccd8840d0791086a6280f9cf34c92.jpg

Thanks  Gabe, I reply on the smudge tool a lot in creating my artwork.

Question, how does the smudge tool differ from the blending capabilities within the paint mixer brush?  The blending function within the paint mixer brush could be quite 

useful if more control could be programmed into it. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• Staff

On the left, you have got the Smudge Tool, on the right, the Paint Mixer Brush tool.Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 15.42.48.png 

Basically, smudge "pushes" everything along the stroke direction(including the alpha) whereas the Mixer Tool mixes the paint, and actually "loads" the brush with some paint to continue mixing. 

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the clarification on these two tools.

Will spend some time getting more familiar with the paint mixer brush.

Do  you know of or have any sample paintings  done with the paint mixer brush?

Thanks again  Gabe,