You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG export settings to use in Cricut design space

Hello all,

I have been looking for answers for hours now and haven’t found what I need. I am trying to save and SVG file from my own writing so I can use it on Cricut design space. Below are the pictures of my process.

Top left, what the writing looks like inside the Affinity app. I grouped the layers so it is one smooth stroke. I have tried using SVG for export, for web, for printing, flatten, jpeg compression on and off, set view box on and off, add line breaks on and off, text as curves on and off, no matter what, the file looks like the top right image, pretty normal. Then I go to design space... problem number one, the image saves with flat end points instead of rounded ones, bottom left image. At least, it is still the same thickness and smooth stroke image. When I uploaded to the canvas though, I get the bottom right image. A hair line stroke that’s broken up! What am I doing wrong?!

I have gone through these forums and tried some of the tips for different SVG saving issues and nothing. I also tried uploading an SVG file that came from a website designed for Cricut files and those turn out fine. They look the same on the site as they do on the downloaded file, the saved box in design space and the final canvas project. This is why I am thinking my issue is how I’m saving it and not related to design space. 

Any help will be appreciated!

DC6DEB42-3277-4D20-B543-6AE2A4584052.jpeg

Hi, Ypg,

It seems that you have not used the "Layer/Expand Stroke" menu command.  Affinity "paints" the stroke around the curve vector.  That is a temporary bit-map representation. "Expand stroke" defines a vector for the edges of the "paint." You might need to do a Boolean add on the expanded strokes to get the boundary lines for Cricut

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

5 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, Ypg,

It seems that you have not used the "Layer/Expand Stroke" menu command.  Affinity "paints" the stroke around the curve vector.  That is a temporary bit-map representation. "Expand stroke" defines a vector for the edges of the "paint." You might need to do a Boolean add on the expanded strokes to get the boundary lines for Cricut

I could kiss you!!!! It worked! I did need both steps but now I have the perfect file to use with my Cricut design space. 

Thank you so much for your help!

-Y