You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit Table Format?

13 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

This is a mystery to me. Is there any info about how it works? I find nothing in the help yet.

The best way to find out how it works is to create a simple table and apply colour to, say, first column and the last column. 

Then create a Table style from that and go to Edit Table Format. This should show you what's going on.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Here's where I'm at with this: Seems that you create a cell layout in the left box by adding rows and columns, then create cell formats in the middle list, then apply the cell formats to the cells in the left layout. Never the less, it is confusing.

6 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Never the less, it is confusing.

I admit it took me a while before I had the aha moment.

It's different from what I've seen in other programs but very powerful.

I agree, we need the documentation or a very good screencast from Serif.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi

Try this.....It can be a little confusing at first...but once you fully understand it ....can be a fantastic tool.

Crating Tables using Edit Table Format
1 Open table formats panel
2. In context menu (hamburger) select create new formats
3.Rename Table Format to alternate rows

Build the table layout
Remember we are not creating a whole table..but designing a format to be applied to tables

4.On the left side of the panel (white window with grid) Set the number of visible 'cells' to 1x2. To do this use the small + and - signs located top left and bottom right respectively. Larger arrows select part of the table format.

Create Design for Cells

You can create  several different versions here but best to keep it simple (It's a good way of locating style and format inconsistencies!)

5 Select Cell Formats (Name=colour 1) or 2 or 3
    Build the Cell Style:
    Select colour you wish to use by selecting 'Fill' [Set colour + use opacity for effect]
    Select border layout width and stroke colour
    Set indents as required
    Set alignment as required

You can use a pre-selected style from the Text Styles panel by using the style dropdown (not defined in default settings) You will need to create a new text style for table and apply it using the dropdown in Table Format Panel

6. Return to Cell formats and add a new one (+/-) buttons at bottom of panel
7. Repeat step 5 except change the colour

8 Draw a table on page
9. Double click on new table and set the number of rows/columns with inc/dec arrows (bottom left/top right)
If you cannot see the alternate row table select the table;then click on the new table format created in steps 1 to 7 in the table formats panel

alaternate rows_1.JPG

alaternate rows_2.JPG

Create Table on Page
1. A much simpler/visual method would be to create the table and format it using the Table Panel on the page directly

2. Create a new table

3. Apply formats using Table Panel [select individual cells and apply stroke+Fill attributes+ Set text styles to be used+indents]

4. Make sure table design is selected...and

5. Go to Table Formats Panel and use local menu to 'add format from selection'

6. Edit using Table Formats Panel as required

NB be careful with selecting cells and applying style attributes to individual cells...as any 'discrepancies' will show up as additional cell formats in the Edit Table Format Panel

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

How does the "Apply to selection" checkbox work? Also, there appears to be no option to align text horizontally. I just gave up trying to figure that out and just used an indent and I will live with that.

1.Apply to selection is like live edit..say you have a table selected on page and re-format using the Edit Table Format..changes can be seen on screen

2. Text alignment...mmm I noticed that some time ago...but you can align it:

a. Using the standard text alignment tools in context menu

b. Create a style for the text you are going to use in the table cell (gives much greater control over formatting)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

The arrows mark off the region that gets repeated.

For example, if your style has 5 rows and you use the arrows to section off the top two rows and the bottom row, then the first two rows of the table will be styled to match the first two rows in the style, the last row in the table will match the last row in the style, and the remaining rows will repeat the styles from the two rows in between.

The list of "cell formats" is a set of styles that can be applied to the cells - update the selected cell format using the controls on the right of that list.  Select one or more cells in the style-mockup-table then select a cell format to apply it to the corresponding cell(s).

The "Frame" controls on the left let you put a border around the entire table.

Very cool.

59 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The arrows mark off the region that gets repeated.

For example, if your style has 5 rows and you use the arrows to section off the top two rows and the bottom row, then the first two rows of the table will be styled to match the first two rows in the style, the last row in the table will match the last row in the style, and the remaining rows will repeat the styles from the two rows in between.

The list of "cell formats" is a set of styles that can be applied to the cells - update the selected cell format using the controls on the right of that list.  Select one or more cells in the style-mockup-table then select a cell format to apply it to the corresponding cell(s).

The "Frame" controls on the left let you put a border around the entire table.

Very cool.

I see this now. Like I said before, it helps to make changes in the dialog box and watch what happens to the cells in the table.

Thanks to all for the help.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, Mr. K said:

I still haven't figured out how these triangles work? Do you know?

1243538528_ScreenShot2019-03-02at12_10_47PM.png.5ca55e9dce0b990f1b7f89bf5b60a1f2.png

I have to say I absolutely love Affinity Publisher and I'm usually quite good at figuring out user interfaces but for this one I was completely baffled. :62_dizzy_face::1_grinning:

22 hours ago, AdrianB said:

I have to say I absolutely love Affinity Publisher and I'm usually quite good at figuring out user interfaces but for this one I was completely baffled. :62_dizzy_face::1_grinning:

I've thought about this a bit, and I feel it could be made clearer and easier. The triangles are picking certain cells, and cell that are even beyond the cells shown in the editing graphic. Maybe it would be better to select the cells to act on. There has to be a better way!

The one improvement I can think of that would not take away flexibility or complicate the usability of the interface in the interest of obviousness would be to put headers above the different sections - sort of but probably not quite exactly like this::

image.png.cbb04c1a7ad51dccd1c608ba54098a84.png