You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 hours ago, Omega said:

the Slice sector tool

I do not know, what you mean by the "sector" tool, but using the Slice Tool it's no problem (at least in version 1.6.5.135).

As for the Slice Selection Tool, it only serves to select the appropriate slice.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

14 hours ago, DWright said:

Can you please provide further information regarding the issue you are having using the slice tool

The Slice selector is not allowing me to manipulate any slices, even if I create a new one and try select - nothing happens. It's selecting bounding boxes around all the other elements but I'm not seeing the anchor point to drag out the size or even move the slice position. 

The slices behave as if they are locked. 

1 hour ago, Omega said:

The Slice selector is not allowing me to manipulate any slices, even if I create a new one and try select - nothing happens. It's selecting bounding boxes around all the other elements but I'm not seeing the anchor point to drag out the size or even move the slice position. 

The slices behave as if they are locked. 

The slice tool is only for making slices for export. It defines the area to be exported and that is all.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The slice tool is only for making slices for export. It defines the area to be exported and that is all.

I'm referring to the "Slice Selection Tool" if that was not clear. 

• Staff

Hi Omega,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Slice Selection Tool lets you select objects on canvas (not slices) without affecting any other slices you may have created, to generate new slices for them in the Layers panel or right-clicking these objects on canvas and selecting Create Slice.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

The Slice Selection Tool lets you select objects without affecting any other slices you may have created to generate a slice for them in the Layers panel

Ok I've figured this out - this is cognitive dissonance on my part - the "Slice Tool" allows me to also move and resize, not the "Slice Selection Tool" - perhaps you can see the linguistic confusion there and the convention break.  

The point is I don't even remember having to think about this, so why suddenly did I find myself stumped. Hmmm... I could almost swear the behaviour didn't behave as was before and threw me for one - you know I've been using design packages for 24 years and Affinity for over a year but maybe it's the sands of time catching up with me... who knows! xD

Thanks for replies. Sometimes you need to say it out loud to make room for the solution! 

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Omega,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Slice Selection Tool lets you select objects on canvas (not slices) without affecting any other slices you may have created, to generate new slices for them in the Layers panel or right-clicking these objects on canvas and selecting Create Slice.

Oh you edited your post since I replied - may I suggest "Slice Object Selection Tool" or "Object Selection Tool" be a more qualitative and clarifying term.

If you think about it, convention when in Draw Persona is you create a shape [Rectangle Tool] and to manipulate it you use the [Move tool]

However in Export Persona the users use the one tool to do both types of action. 

... again I don't still know why I had to suddenly notice and fall over having been using this tool for so long, other that cognitive dissonance. I have weirded myself out.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, MEB said:

Yes, the "slice" word in the label is a little misleading. I will pass this to the dev team.

Alright, these defo seems like a bug now, because I've caught the moment that tripped me up previously. 

When switching to Export Persona - sometimes one or more Slices have lost alignment, this is why I needed to move some. I am trying to select the slices but the tool doesn't work, I can align it back using the transform box. 

Two things going on  there.

Slices mis-aligning.

Slice Tool not selecting slices for further action.  (it actually seems to mis-fire, i.e. create a new custom slice!)

On 3/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, MEB said:

Hi Omega,
To select a slice with the Slice Tool click on the header of the slice in the canvas. You should then be able to move it instead of creating a new one.
I will check if I can reproduce the slices misalignment.

I hear ya but it's not behaving as might be expected of a bug.

I'll add 2 additional notes to aid your investigations.  

1) The .afdesign file is being saved to iCloud, if that adds some level of complexity of note, I have no idea but I've had it hand a couple fo times saving. 

2) I'm running macOS Mojave Beta 4 - 10.14.4 Beta (18E205e) :ph34r:

I'm working on a big sets of iPad pro artboards - On next project, I will now observer behaviour more closely and see if it repeats. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, Omega said:

Ok I've figured this out - this is cognitive dissonance on my part - the "Slice Tool" allows me to also move and resize, not the "Slice Selection Tool" - perhaps you can see the linguistic confusion there and the convention break.  

Thank you @Omega for working this out. I was clicking Slice Selection Tool and then trying to select a slice. Soooo confusing. The Slice Tool has an icon with a + implying it's only for adding new slices. I was totally stumped until I found your solution.

Yes please Dev team please address this!