You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Fonts -- space after apostrophes

I've noticed that when using certain Adobe fonts (maybe all Adobe fonts?), if I type a contraction, like didn't, a massive space will be inserted between the apostrophe and the following letter. It looks something like this: didn'    t

Switching to a non-Adobe font fixes it.

It would help if you tell us the name of at least one font that has given you this problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Please note that there are some open source Adobe fonts available if people who do not have Adobe fonts want to check them.

One is Source Sans. I have just been looking it up, but I am unsure about how to get it. There are offers on some websites but I do not know which are safe at present.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

One is Source Sans. I have just been looking it up, but I am unsure about how to get it. There are offers on some websites but I do not know which are safe at present.

Try either of the following links:

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Sans+Pro

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would help if you tell us the name of at least one font that has given you this problem.

As well as the font format—Postscript Type 1 (and whether one has all the font's files, there should be 2 or 3), TrueType (.ttf) or OpenType (.otf).

Okay so testing a bit more, it's not all Adobe fonts, but here are some that have the issue I described:

• Adobe Fan Heiti Std
  • Adobe Fangsong Std
  • Adobe Heiti Std
  • Adobe Kaiti Std
  • Adobe Ming Std
  • Adobe Myungjo Std
  • Adobe Song Std

All of these are .otf and have only one font face (which vary font to font, but most are regular).

I have two other Adobe fonts with a single font face that don't have the issue described. One is .otf and one is .ttf. None of my Adobe fonts with multiple font faces (or any of my other fonts at all) have this issue.

Oh wait a minute...

Looks like this is an issue on my end, these fonts have the same issue in other programs as well. Something must have happened to them when I reinstalled Windows 10 a while back. Sorry for the false alarm.

15 minutes ago, Nathan Shirley said:

Okay so testing a bit more, it's not all Adobe fonts, but here are some that have the issue I described:

Oh wait a minute...

Looks like this is an issue on my end, these fonts have the same issue in other programs as well. Something must have happened to them when I reinstalled Windows 10 a while back. Sorry for the false alarm.

Do you actually use these particular fonts for the non-Latin letters they contain? fwiw, I do not have the issue you describe, at least with the one I tried, Adobe Ming Std.

But if you are using them only for Latin-type of text, just use a different font altogether.

5 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

• Adobe Fan Heiti Std
  • Adobe Fangsong Std
  • Adobe Heiti Std
  • Adobe Kaiti Std
  • Adobe Ming Std
  • Adobe Myungjo Std
  • Adobe Song Std 

These all look like CJK fonts, which are probably monospaced or use monospaced glyphs for Latin text. This would account for the excessive spacing around apostrophes or single quote marks. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

13 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

These all look like CJK fonts, which are probably monospaced or use monospaced glyphs for Latin text. This would account for the excessive spacing around apostrophes or single quote marks. 

They are, but they don't seem to be an issue on my system. 

All 7 of these old Adobe fonts have proportionally spaced Latin characters.
But there is something odd with the character widths for apostrophe and right curly quote.
I assume the apostrophe is being automatically replaced with the right quote.

In Adobe Myungjo Std for example ...
The apostrophe width is 250.
The right quote width is 1,000 with a right side bearing of 775.
So it is going to have a big gap on the right.
This is probably what you are seeing.

In Source Sans Pro the apostrophe and right curly quote both have a width of 250.
This is what you would expect to see.

I looked at a couple of the other fonts and they appear to be the same.
And there are some other characters with odd wide widths such as accent acute, etc.
There may be a valid reason for this in these primarily CJK fonts.
I do not know.

Or it could just be a way of preventing use of these free fonts for Latin text.
I have seen some things in other Adobe fonts which appear to be sabotage.

5 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Or it could just be a way of preventing use of these free fonts for Latin text.
I have seen some things in other Adobe fonts which appear to be sabotage.

Sabotage? Really? Appearances can be deceiving.

@Nathan Shirley

I took a closer look and compared Adobe Heiti Std to M XiangHe Hei SC Pro from Monotype.
M XiangHe Hei SC Pro is a newer simplified Chinese font which also supports Latin.
That font does not have this problem.
The rightquote, leftquote, etc. are the normal widths.

There are different width versions of singlequote, doublequote, some accents, etc. because those and many others are used for the half width forms and full width forms features.
But the right quote and the left quote are not used for that so it makes no sense that the originals are so wide.
So it appears to be an error in the Adobe fonts which affects using these fonts for Latin text.

M XiangHe Hei SC Pro appears to be really nice. The Latin text is Neue Frutiger.
10 weights, lots of features - may be a good alternative for dual language use. B|

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.