You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Superscript taking over text

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but if you type, for example:

1st 2nd 3rd

The program will change the 'st' etc., into superscript. However, If you then try to go back and add text after any of the superscript, whatever you add becomes superscript as well. For example adding commas between the above (1st, 2nd, 3rd) results in superscript commas. It's easy enough to leave a space after the superscript and then just delete the space as a workaround. But I'm guessing that might not be intended behavior?

Not a bug, in my opinion, but an imperfect feature. PagePlus suffers from the same issue. Enabling superscripts for ordinals in Autocorrect formats the ordinals as superscripts. Most fonts do no have superscripted glyphs for a-z, though many may have at least ¹²³ if not a full set of superscripts for figures.

Software can only compensate for the missing glyphs by formatting the regular letters with superscript (and bold). 

If a font has a well designed Ordinals (ordn) feature it is better to use that, and disable the Autocorrect feature. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

I looked at how Affinity Publisher does it, and it is the same as PagePlus. Autocorrected superscripts are not emboldened, as I had thought they might be. In general, it may not be a good idea, although it works well enough for Calibri (illustrated below). The aim is to compensate for the lighter weight of the scaled down superscripts. 

The Ordinals in Calibri are not correctly designed, as they are not context-sensitive. The ordinals in my own font Mandala are superscripted only after figures. Arial has no ordinals feature. 

Ordinals.png.9814e91bda271ab3430dcf9bb75c31cb.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

9 hours ago, Nathan Shirley said:

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but if you type, for example:

1st 2nd 3rd

The program will change the 'st' etc., into superscript. However, If you then try to go back and add text after any of the superscript, whatever you add becomes superscript as well. For example adding commas between the above (1st, 2nd, 3rd) results in superscript commas. It's easy enough to leave a space after the superscript and then just delete the space as a workaround. But I'm guessing that might not be intended behavior?

It is definitely something that should be looked at for a resolution. I do not get that behavior in other programs either

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

This is working as expected. Newly inserted text will always pick up the applied formatting at the caret position.

You can turn off the feature in 'Preferences > Auto-correct > Superscript ordinals as they are typed' and instead apply them manually if you prefer.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.