You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been using Nikon NX2 for years and enjoy using their U Point feature. I am thinking of buying Affinity but I would like to know if there is a similar U Point feature on this software before I buy.

Thanks

Hi,

Affinity Photo has Overlays in it's RAW develop persona, which work or do offer in a similar manner what NIK U-Points do in Capture NX2. - See:

Take also a look over the other tutorial videos to get an idea about Affinity Photo ...

BTW, the latest Nikon Capture NX-D versions do again support color control points.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

If you mean anything like the U-point technology seen in the Nik Collection and now in DxO PhotoLab, then the answer is no.-

I am unfamiliar with U-points in Nikon Capture.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The result of using NIK U-Points (used in DxO PhotoLab, NIK Collection, Nikon Capture NX2, Nikon Capture NX-D ...) is similar in behavior as using Overlays in the APh Develop persona. - So if you use NIK U-Points, or APh Overlay brushes here, in order to manipulate and tweak setup image areas, should finally give similar results.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The result of using NIK U-Points (used in DxO PhotoLab, NIK Collection, Nikon Capture NX2, Nikon Capture NX-D ...) is similar in behavior as using Overlays in the APh Develop persona. - So if you use NIK U-Points, or APh Overlay brushes here, in order to manipulate and tweak setup image areas, should finally give similar results.

@v_kyr, thanks for exposing my ignorance.  I must try this out for myself. Nik U-points, or something similar, would be very useful in AP.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

@John Rostron  John those Overlays are IMO just another way of offering what U-Points do offer to tweak image areas here. I believe U-Points are patented and thus, other software which doesn't license that stuff, then has to do and setup it slightly different here. AFAI remember Lightroom for example also uses brushes instead, as does APh here.

With U-Points you have a listview of setup points, you can include new ones, copy/paste existing ones, delete selected points etc. With the APh overlays you have a list of brushes (or an gradient overlay) with associated setup manipulations instead. - All however do manipulte setup image areas the one or other way.

Personally I'm a big fan of U-Points and also more used to those, since these offer quicker setup and overall turn arounds.

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Personally I'm a big fan of U-Points and also more used to those, since these offer quicker setup and overall turn arounds.

So am I. (Though not such a fan as to invest in DxO PhotoLab. I do have the DxO Nik Collection though.) I will certainly see how your suggestions work.

John

As a long time Nikonian I'm used to Nikon RAW converter software, which in the past (Capture NX2) had build-in NIK U-Point technology. When NIK Software was bought by Google, Nikon removed the U-Point technology in their software. - Now Nikon's latest Capture NX-D versions have again build-in color points support.

capture_nxd.jpg.4cfbad81935f2c41681b22e572c464a5.jpg

7 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Hi,

Affinity Photo has Overlays in it's RAW develop persona, which work or do offer in a similar manner what NIK U-Points do in Capture NX2. - See:

Take also a look over the other tutorial videos to get an idea about Affinity Photo ...

BTW, the latest Nikon Capture NX-D versions do again support color control points.

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly with help full comments. I am using NX-D but it has a mind of its own,  at times it will do weird things so I am looking for an alternative. I find the Overlays interesting and seem easy to use. Thanks to Google I have the free NIX collection so I have another question, can a RAW image processed in Affinity be opened up in Nix for  control points adjustment? 

The NIK Collection can be plugged (referenced) into Affinity Photo as a plugin (similar as in Photoshop or Capture NX2 etc.), thus you can use the NIK tools from the APhoto's Photo Persona on a so far already developed/processed RAW files. - In APhoto when you develop a RAW file it is taken over into it's Photo persona, there you can access the Nik tools (if installed as plugins) and let them operate on an image. - See:

Maybe you should download an Affinity Photo Win or Mac trial version from the Affinity web site, so you can try things out first.

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I have just had  look at these Overlays in Develop. I think that I stand by my original assertion:

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

If you mean anything like the U-point technology seen in the Nik Collection and now in DxO PhotoLab, then the answer is no.

These overlays cover the same sort of aim as U-points do, but with nothing like the power. There is not the selectivity of tone that distinguishes U-points.

I am quite happy working with Nik and will continue to do so.

John

17 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The NIK Collection can be plugged (referenced) into Affinity Photo as a plugin (similar as in Photoshop or Capture NX2 etc.), thus you can use the NIK tools from the APhoto's Photo Persona on a so far already developed/processed RAW files. - In APhoto when you develop a RAW file it is taken over into it's Photo persona, there you can access the Nik tools (if installed as plugins) and let them operate on an image. - See:

Maybe you should download an Affinity Photo Win or Mac trial version from the Affinity web site, so you can try things out first.

Thank you for the download link..I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Yes I will definitely give it a trial, thanks again.

The basic usage concept of those Overlays is shown here ...

However, since I generally don't use APh for RAW image processing, I also don't use the things on the APh's develop persona side.