Sign in to follow this  
Etienne

Panel resizing, stacking and UI's color

Hi,

First of all, thank you! You've done such a great work with Designer, I'm really confident of being able to drop Illustrator for good (and this an awesome news)!

I've been using designer for a couple of months now and there are still 3 things that I find disturbing / annoying:

- I usually move the Layer panel outside of the right column (see screenshot attached) as it's easier for me to work that way. However, just sometimes, I find it pretty hard to find the correct spot to resize the layer panel once it is detached. I don't know where it comes from as it doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes it is just really hard to resize it.

- Having the layer panel detached, it is frustrating when I need to change some Document setup and that the setup panel open BEHIND the layer panel (see screenshot attached).

- Finally, and maybe it is just me but I can't get used to the color scheme you used when you have several documents opened. For me the active tab should be light grey and not dark grey, it just makes sense (although I don't know where it comes from). Has anyone done the same feedback?

Anyway, thanks a lot for everything you are doing for the design community, it is really appreciated!

post-10157-0-11503700-1428937823_thumb.png

Hi epigeyre,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your feedback.

1) You're right. Something's weird with resizing the Layers panel after we detach it from the studio. I will log this to be looked at.

2) This is a known issue that has already been logged.

3) Other users have reported this too. For me personally, i think it's fine as it is. The active document tab is connected to the rest of the interface ("floating" over inactive tabs) - like in Safari -, and the name of the document in white reinforces its active state. Inactive tabs are shadowed.

- Finally, and maybe it is just me but I can't get used to the color scheme you used when you have several documents opened. For me the active tab should be light grey and not dark grey, it just makes sense (although I don't know where it comes from). Has anyone done the same feedback?

The active tabs are light grey - both in the documents tabs, and the studio tabs.

Are you using an earlier version of Designer? As I know we switched it over at some point in the beta.

Wow, you guys are really quick to answer! Thanks!

The active tabs are light grey - both in the documents tabs, and the studio tabs.

Are you using an earlier version of Designer? As I know we switched it over at some point in the beta.

Ok, so I'm glad you've switched it! However, did you switch it only in the beta ? Because I am using v 1.1.2 and I don't see any update on the App Store...

Yes, the screenshot shows an older version of Designer.

@Andrew

The document's tab color is the same for me, but inactive states appear with a shadow making them looking darker.

attachicon.gifdocument_tabs.png

Yes, this is exactly what I want! But on my version of Designer (1.1.2) active tabs are darker than the other tabs. I don't use the beta, only the final release, but I am going to check the beta.

Yes, this is exactly what I want! But on my version of Designer (1.1.2) active tabs are darker than the other tabs. I don't use the beta, only the final release, but I am going to check the beta.

The app store version is now version 1.2. We've updated it a couple of weeks ago so you should have gotten it.

If not, you can try a new re-download by doing:

- Dragging Affinity Designer from the Application folder into the trash can

- Empty your trash can

- Go to the Mac App Store and download Designer again

If you are not on OSX 10.10 Yosemite, then your tabs will look like the ones in MEB's screenshot. Those haven't changed in either version. :)

Oh yeah! After re-downloading the app it is now working perfectly (I am on Yosemite)! I can see a couple of new functions...can't wait to try them!

Thanks for your help!!